Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use a iMac as an external screen for my MacBook Pro

Can I connect a iMac (21,5" mi-2010) to a MacBook Pro (13" 2017) and use it a an external monitor?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 10:28 PM

Hello, duchess.

I don't believe Apple supported that iMac as an external (target) display. 

Some things to know about Target Display mode:

Apple has not supported Target Display mode out of the box on any iMac since 2014, nor on any macOS newer than 10.13 High Sierra.

Only a small handful of iMacs were ever supported to target display mode:

"Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.”

For the intended target (the iMac being used AS a display):

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.“ (Catalina)

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

If you search the internet, however, you might find some unsupported third-party solutions. For example: 

Turn any Mac or iPad into a second display - lunadisplay 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2020 10:28 PM in response to educhesn

Hello, duchess.

I don't believe Apple supported that iMac as an external (target) display. 

Some things to know about Target Display mode:

Apple has not supported Target Display mode out of the box on any iMac since 2014, nor on any macOS newer than 10.13 High Sierra.

Only a small handful of iMacs were ever supported to target display mode:

"Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.”

For the intended target (the iMac being used AS a display):

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.“ (Catalina)

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

If you search the internet, however, you might find some unsupported third-party solutions. For example: 

Turn any Mac or iPad into a second display - lunadisplay 

Use a iMac as an external screen for my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.