You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed logic board for almost new MacBook Air

I am a student and I bought a brand new MacBook air 1 year and 4 months ago. This week, it stopped working completely for no apparent reason at all and I took it into a Mac repair shop who told me that the logic board had failed and it would cost 500£ to repair (more than half the price I payed for the computer from the apple website). The warrantee for the computer expired after 1 year, and 4 months after this my practically new laptop failed for no good reason. My entire dissertation is on that laptop and even though the repair shop told me there was a 90% change that by installing a new logic board, I would be able to access all of my documents, the idea as a student of paying £500 to fix a laptop I bought brand new so recently seems ridiculous. Has anyone else had problems with logic board failures on relatively new Macs without having damaged them in anyway? I know a few people and if this is a common problem Apple really needs to fix their logic boards and their 'susceptibility to damage'.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 4:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 4:53 AM

Hey there, first of all I'm sorry your Mac died on you and I get that you don't want to fork out for an expensive repair, one of your best options would be to go through a consumer law claim, how it works is that consumer law acts as a warranty given by the government which lasts for 5 years, so what you need to do is contact the place where you got it from, if that's from us or a third party and explain to them you would like to use your consumer law rights to fix your computer as consumer law was created to protect consumers from faults in a product from the manufacturer, I have added a link so you can do a little bit of reading and see if this is something you want to do, ( its free and you don't have to go to court or anything like that ).

Apple Products and Consumer Laws

in the United Kingdom

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Many thanks

Erik

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2020 4:53 AM in response to alexan129

Hey there, first of all I'm sorry your Mac died on you and I get that you don't want to fork out for an expensive repair, one of your best options would be to go through a consumer law claim, how it works is that consumer law acts as a warranty given by the government which lasts for 5 years, so what you need to do is contact the place where you got it from, if that's from us or a third party and explain to them you would like to use your consumer law rights to fix your computer as consumer law was created to protect consumers from faults in a product from the manufacturer, I have added a link so you can do a little bit of reading and see if this is something you want to do, ( its free and you don't have to go to court or anything like that ).

Apple Products and Consumer Laws

in the United Kingdom

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Many thanks

Erik

Mar 23, 2020 5:07 PM in response to alexan129

Most likely the SSD is built into the Logic Board on that model (2018+). If that is the case, then only an AASP will be able to attempt the retrieval of your files from the system. If an AASP is unable to retrieve the data, then you could request them to send the Logic Board to a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack.

If the laptop is actually a 2017 model, then you could purchase an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure for the removable SSD and connect it to another Mac to access the data. From what you wrote in your original post I believe you have a 2018+ model. You can verify the exact model of the laptop by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

If you didn't backup your laptop regularly, then you should definitely start doing so with your next computer. The more important the data the more copies or backups you should have. It is nearly impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from a working SSD. Plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs.

FYI, when Apple first released the 2018+ systems with the T2 security chip which I believe your laptop has, Apple didn't provide any way for an AASP to recover data from a bad Logic Board. Apple later gave AASPs a way to attempt data recovery, but I'm really not sure what is involved. I believe it is much less likely data can be recovered from a damaged Logic Board with a T2 security chip than it was on older models.

If you were using any cloud services, then perhaps some of your documents can be retrieved from the cloud.

Failed logic board for almost new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.