Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy files from external HD to my MBP?

How do I copy files from my external hard drive to my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Connect the external drive to your computer. Open a Finder window on the external drive so you can locate the files you want to copy. Select those files. Then open a Finder window on the computer's drive. Select the location to where you want the files copied. Return to your selection and drag the entire selection to the drive on the computer.

Alternatively, decide where you want the files copied on your computer. Open a Finder window on the external drive. Locate the files you want copied; select the files and press Command-C. Move the cursor to the place on the computer where you want the files copied and click into that space. Press Command-V to paste your files in the desired location.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2020 2:53 PM in response to Jamo44or44

Connect the external drive to your computer. Open a Finder window on the external drive so you can locate the files you want to copy. Select those files. Then open a Finder window on the computer's drive. Select the location to where you want the files copied. Return to your selection and drag the entire selection to the drive on the computer.

Alternatively, decide where you want the files copied on your computer. Open a Finder window on the external drive. Locate the files you want copied; select the files and press Command-C. Move the cursor to the place on the computer where you want the files copied and click into that space. Press Command-V to paste your files in the desired location.

Mar 23, 2020 4:02 PM in response to Jamo44or44

Jamo44or44 wrote:
Yo, Kappy --
Thanks, but... I have one more (dumb?) question: Do I need to erase/delete/eradicate the (same) files on the computer before I copy them from the hard drive back to the computer?
Thank you again,
Jim

What's the intent. If you're just looking to copy over data and can sort it out later, you could just create a directory for that information and then just copy everything to that directory. But if you copied over things where there are duplicate names, it's typically going to ask if you want to overwrite the existing files with the same names.

Mar 23, 2020 5:23 PM in response to Jamo44or44

If you create a direct (i.e. "backup") and then drag the directory/contents to that directory, it's not going to be populated and should be fine just copying over the entire contents to an empty directory. However, it's possible to copy over to an existing directory and then it will ask if you want to replace anything where there's a file/directory with the exact same name.

How do I copy files from external HD to my MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.