Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound ducking during notifications

When I’m watching a video or listening to music, the sound ducking that occurs when I get a notification lingers and the normal volume of what I’m doing doesn’t return. I have the latest software but the issue isn’t going away.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 2:15 PM

Yes! This. And it is new as in the last few days it has started. The volume dips when i get a notification but before, the program would resume at the previous volume. Now, I have to totally exit what I’m watching and go back to it. It is insanely annoying. I have no idea how to fix it and reading this thread doesn’t give me hope.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 2:15 PM in response to JMK0909

Yes! This. And it is new as in the last few days it has started. The volume dips when i get a notification but before, the program would resume at the previous volume. Now, I have to totally exit what I’m watching and go back to it. It is insanely annoying. I have no idea how to fix it and reading this thread doesn’t give me hope.

Apr 9, 2020 12:00 PM in response to JMK0909

I also have this issue, but on the iPhone XS. I don't want to mute my sounds, i want them on so muting my phone is a workaround, not a fix. The sound ducking lingers after a notification. If you search other posts, this has been an issue as far back as the iPhone 6 and I've unable to find a post that suggests there has ever been work on it.

May 6, 2020 6:12 AM in response to CatBirdmom2

I have noticed this annoying behavior also. It seems every iOS update makes the phone less functional and Siri stupider. In previous versions the text notification would play and then the music would return to original volume, now I have to touch the text to read it -actually open the phone with my code (fingerprint unlock sucks too) before it will behave properly. And just to make things more interesting my iPhone 8 button does not respond to a gloved finger through the otter box button film, and of course no one is wearing exam gloves these days...

Sound ducking during notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.