Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LiDAR in new iPad Pro

Has anyone heard of any apps that may use the LiDAR in the new iPad Pro. As a geologist and paleontologist it seems like this might be a great platform for digitizing fossils and outcrops.

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 10:32 AM

LiDAR is an exciting addition to iPad and I love the ideas for your profession. At this time I'm not familiar with a specific app list centered around this new feature. If we review the press surrounding this release, there are a few specific apps referenced in print and promotional video.

"The LiDAR Scanner improves the Measure app, making it faster and easier to automatically calculate someone’s height, while helpful vertical and edge guides automatically appear to let users more quickly and accurately measure objects. The Measure app also now comes with Ruler View for more granular measurements and allows users to save a list of all measurements, complete with screenshots for future use." --from Apple Newsroom 3-18-20 publication

Other apps showcased in the iPad release video:

*Apps shared in release of new iPad Pro note LiDAR incorporation to new or existing app available later this year. "Apps are available on the App Store. Title availability is subject to change. App features shown are for illustrative purposes only and may not currently be available for each app. Check with the app developer for feature availability. Apple Arcade requires a subscription." --from Apple Newsroom 3-18-20 publication

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 10:32 AM in response to abusbey

LiDAR is an exciting addition to iPad and I love the ideas for your profession. At this time I'm not familiar with a specific app list centered around this new feature. If we review the press surrounding this release, there are a few specific apps referenced in print and promotional video.

"The LiDAR Scanner improves the Measure app, making it faster and easier to automatically calculate someone’s height, while helpful vertical and edge guides automatically appear to let users more quickly and accurately measure objects. The Measure app also now comes with Ruler View for more granular measurements and allows users to save a list of all measurements, complete with screenshots for future use." --from Apple Newsroom 3-18-20 publication

Other apps showcased in the iPad release video:

*Apps shared in release of new iPad Pro note LiDAR incorporation to new or existing app available later this year. "Apps are available on the App Store. Title availability is subject to change. App features shown are for illustrative purposes only and may not currently be available for each app. Check with the app developer for feature availability. Apple Arcade requires a subscription." --from Apple Newsroom 3-18-20 publication

Mar 31, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Apple_Josh1

An analysis of the LiDAR sensor in the new iPadPro has been released. Unfortunately the resolution of the LiDAR on the iPadPro back is very low compared to the resolution of the face detection camera on the front - and I mean VERY low. It might be ok for rooms but it is so low resolution one could never use it for any detailed scans that might be required in the science application I talked about.

LiDAR in new iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.