Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st Gen iPod Touch 8GB wont boot, S/N not displayed in iTunes

Hello! I have a 1st Gen iPod touch that has been sitting in a drawer uncharged for a long time (at least a few years). When I connect it to iTunes I get the option to restore it, though this only results in the error message "Software for this iPod is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again." My iTunes is up to date. Another note is that the serial number is displayed as "n/a."

My two suspicions about this iPod are this:

1. The battery has been permanently damaged due to being uncharged for so long (again, years).
  2. This iPod may not be supported anymore and firmware may no longer be available.

So, which of these hunches is true? Or am I totally off base? I don't have much experience with this generation of iPod or dealing with devices this old that have been neglected for so long. Can the genius bar replace the battery for me if need be?

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 5:38 PM

Hello,

Please refer to the following Apple Support document.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

1st Gen iPod Touch 8GB wont boot, S/N not displayed in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.