Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won’t boot unless...

Okay guys. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, 13-inch. So this all started with my MacBook going to the flashing folder screen when it would go to sleep. At first, I would just turn it off and back on, and it would start up like normal. Then all of a sudden it wouldn’t start up at all. Would just get stuck on the flashing folder screen. I could get to the OS utility screen, but that was it. I couldn’t get any further. When in the OS utility screen, under disk utility my hard drive wouldn’t show up at all. Now, I recently discovered that it will boot if i plug it in while it’s off. That’s the only way to get it to boot. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 8:27 PM

If the drive does not appear in Disk Utility, then it has failed. You might start by doing this:

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utilityloads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 8:27 PM in response to Daniel597

If the drive does not appear in Disk Utility, then it has failed. You might start by doing this:

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utilityloads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button. 

Mac won’t boot unless...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.