Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed SSD on new macbook pro...what folders should be on what drive?

Good morning. I have a new i5 macbook pro that I have installed a fresh copy of snow leopard onto (16GB SSD). It has not been "used" other than putting some applications on the drive. I have also put a 500GB magnetic drive that was in my Gen1 MacBook Pro in the optical drive bay, and in account preferences updated the users folder to point to that hard drive/users/ folder as the home folder.

My question is, where should the other folders be on each drive? I don't want to have redundancy where it is not needed, and I want to have the SSD running as fast as possible. Which drive should the /Applications, /Library, /System folders be in? I am assuming the SSD if possible. However, should I copy them from the 500GB to the 16GB? I am also concerned about my mail as I am not sure where the database for that lives.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 6:51 AM

7 replies

Jul 19, 2010 11:16 AM in response to discounteggroll

The smallest BTO SSD from Apple is 128GB and I've seen people use 32GB (sometimes with the intent to add a 2nd and run RAID0 eventually).

32GB would still be small for all the temp files, cache, that the system needs to use, and burning DVDs always uses the system drive which can eat up 24GB of space.

Plus, depends on how well OS X holds up if/when it gets to 4GB or less of free space, if it ever needs to create swap file(s).

And no, don't touch top level folders, and there are hidden folders taking up couple GB more.

http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld-SevereDuty.html

Installed SSD on new macbook pro...what folders should be on what drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.