Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update my Apple TV 3rd gen A1469

I have followed all the links here to update my Apple TV so that I can get the Apple TV app to work. I currently have software version 7.3 (8065).

I select software update and it downloads the software. The it begins step 1 of 2 preparing update. Just as the bar reaches the end it bombs out and says “update was not successful”.

I have restarted over 20 times (as suggested on other posts) nothing. I tried update and reset, nope same problem. I reset to factory without update, still not able to update. I even connected to iTunes to try to update & restore. Still no success. I read here this revA unit can get the updates. So what do I do. There is no way I spend $150 on a new unit to replace one that should STILL BE WORKING. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 3:34 AM

I was going to call AppleCare as a last resort.

UPDATE!

I kept my AppleTV from going to sleep, and while watching TV, I would periodically switch to the unit and restart & try to up update. Finally, at around 1am the update to the OS finally took. I must have done the restart & update 30 or 40 times...I lost count. So the solution seems to be the old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try try again...and then try some more”. IDK maybe the late hour had something to do with it as well.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 3:34 AM in response to QuickPost

I was going to call AppleCare as a last resort.

UPDATE!

I kept my AppleTV from going to sleep, and while watching TV, I would periodically switch to the unit and restart & try to up update. Finally, at around 1am the update to the OS finally took. I must have done the restart & update 30 or 40 times...I lost count. So the solution seems to be the old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try try again...and then try some more”. IDK maybe the late hour had something to do with it as well.

Unable to update my Apple TV 3rd gen A1469

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.