Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless data setting for an app can't be changed

After installing and launching a new app, the panel to choose to allow "the app" to use wireless data.

I've chose "Don't Allow" by mistake...

I wanted to allow both Wi-Fi and Cellular, from the app settings in the settings app. Each time i chose it, it somewhat reverts it to "Off". In the end, I can't connect to the app anymore.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 11:00 PM

Is this your corporate iPhone? Do you have any profile installed by your corporate / organisation / enterprise / School Management then please contact the system administrator of your corporate / organisation / enterprise / School Management

If you have installed it on your own --> Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...

Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM to you if they have installed anything through their carrier settings --> Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Try --> Check the cellular data usage on your iPhone and iPad ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 11:00 PM in response to gabrieljorby

Is this your corporate iPhone? Do you have any profile installed by your corporate / organisation / enterprise / School Management then please contact the system administrator of your corporate / organisation / enterprise / School Management

If you have installed it on your own --> Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...

Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM to you if they have installed anything through their carrier settings --> Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Try --> Check the cellular data usage on your iPhone and iPad ...

Mar 26, 2020 12:30 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your answer. Actually the scenario you're referring to does not apply here. It is a personal phone with no content restrictions. I have identified a possible reason.

The reason why I believe the setting could not be changed is ... because did not allow the app to use wireless data at the app first launch.

During the first launch, I have noticed this panel :

We all know it, it acts as a "mini-firewall" for apps. At some point, I could have skipped this panel (maybe by switching apps, or receiving a phone call), then the system (or the app?) assumed that I did not allow the app to connect.

Usually, I could revert or change the setting from the Settings, but I could imagine that deleting the app or reseting all the iPhone settings could reset this choice, but the wireless data setting panel never appeared again.

The only way I found was simply to reset the Phone entirely, and download the app again.

To me, it appears to be a bug, yet I'm not certain it's for the app publisher or iOS.

Wireless data setting for an app can't be changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.