Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup not working - "session could not be started" error

Ever since I upgraded my phone (3GS) to OS4, backup in iTunes has stopped working. The error message is:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "XXXX" because a session could not be started with the iPhone"

I have seen this error in other threads, and have tried the fixes suggested, including:
- checking permissions on the backup directory
- deleting old backups via iTunes prefs
- deleting old backups manually (by deleting the folder)
- hard reset

... but none of these work. Everything is fully updated (OSX, iTunes, iPhone) to the latest versions.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 7:41 AM

36 replies

Jul 20, 2010 7:45 AM in response to nong

Log in using an administrator account. See if you can manually create a backup by control clicking the phone in the device pane & selecting "backup". Make sure that auto sync when an ipod/iphone is connected, is disabled under preferences in itunes BEFORE you connect your phone. DO NOT SYNC. If the backup completes under your admin account, this will confirm a permissions problem under your user account.

Jul 30, 2010 3:07 PM in response to nong

Same problem here.

Authorized new MacBook to connect to my existing account.
Transferred paid apps. (Lost my Contacts, though.)
Upgraded iPhone to 4.0.1
Upgraded iTunes to 9.2.1

I've tried all of the above (Apple's Support Page, delete backups, etc.), no joy.

Any other ideas to try? Thanks!

(Running a little low on patience here ...)

Aug 1, 2010 12:03 PM in response to MightyMollusc

I think I know what the issue is.... My last back up was in March right after I got it. I kept having an issue whenever I synced it with my mail and contact accounts. It would try to overwrite everything and it would crash everytime. I read a post about how to change that in the iTues Prefs XML file and I bet that f'ed it up. Did any of you do that? I think I have to uninstall iTunes and reinstall to fix it

iPhone backup not working - "session could not be started" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.