Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update to 10.15.4.

When it asks me to reboot the system (after downloading), it doesn't update and does a normal system restart.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 12:58 PM

Hmmm. There is no 12.15.3 version of macOS. Did you mean 10.15.3? I would start by suggesting that you repair the drive:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, try re-running the update. If you still have a problem, then Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.

In the future: I grasp that you are Italian but I cannot always figure out what is in the dialogs. An interpretation would be helpful for any important terms I might need to know. I'm mono-lingual. Thanks. Oh, I did get this one.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 12:58 PM in response to Vallo22

Hmmm. There is no 12.15.3 version of macOS. Did you mean 10.15.3? I would start by suggesting that you repair the drive:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, try re-running the update. If you still have a problem, then Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.

In the future: I grasp that you are Italian but I cannot always figure out what is in the dialogs. An interpretation would be helpful for any important terms I might need to know. I'm mono-lingual. Thanks. Oh, I did get this one.

Mar 26, 2020 7:50 PM in response to Vallo22

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

The categories found in the Storage section of About This Mac is simply an arbitrary way of displaying files on your drive. There are no such categories actually on the drive.

If you only had 8GBs of free space to update macOS, then you are quite a few GBs short. You should have at least 15-30GBs free space to upgrade or update macOS. No wonder you were having a problem.

Mar 26, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Kappy

The update is already downloaded. When i choose to reboot (see image) to install the update, the pc reboot, but instead of installing the update, it makes me the classic restart. So when I get back to the desktop it still requires me to reboot to install the update.

If I check the version of my operating system it keeps giving me 10.15.3.

Mar 26, 2020 5:44 PM in response to Kappy

The drive repair doesn't work. After finishing the repair, restarting and trying to install the update, nothing has changed.

But a very strange thing happened. Since I wrote the post here on the site I had 8GB of free space on the main disk. After the various attempts I made, I tried to download the Combo Update; are 4GB of downloads. The download did not even start because in a few hours without downloading anything I found myself only 4GB free. How is it possible? It is normal that I went from 8GB to 4GB free without doing anything? Is it normal for my operating system to reach 88GB? (see photo)

I'm going crazy.. uff

I can't update to 10.15.4.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.