Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to purchase a separate plan for the cellular?

Apple watch series 3 GPS vs. GPS + Cellular:

i am confused, do i need to purchase a seperate plan for the cellular? or does this automatically add onto my current mobile plan?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 4:44 AM

It costs extra IF you want to use the watch away from your iPhone. If you want to carry your cell with you and have the convenience of answering on your wrist— and not searching for it in your purse, then it doesn’t require the Cellular or the extra money. If you want to be able to leave the house without your phone and just wear your watch, you must get the watch with the Cellular, and thus have another plan in addition to your phone. I just got one in November 2019 and had to figure out what was best for me, but it was great to just be able to go for a run or to the store and not worry about carrying my whole purse. Hope that helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 4:44 AM in response to radhika70

It costs extra IF you want to use the watch away from your iPhone. If you want to carry your cell with you and have the convenience of answering on your wrist— and not searching for it in your purse, then it doesn’t require the Cellular or the extra money. If you want to be able to leave the house without your phone and just wear your watch, you must get the watch with the Cellular, and thus have another plan in addition to your phone. I just got one in November 2019 and had to figure out what was best for me, but it was great to just be able to go for a run or to the store and not worry about carrying my whole purse. Hope that helps.

Mar 26, 2020 8:20 PM in response to radhika70

It is not so much a separate cellular plan. It is an addition to your iPhone plan.

The Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number. This requires that the iPhone cellular carrier support the Apple Watch.

For this phone number sharing service, the iPhone cellular carrier will charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to the iPhone cellular bill.

iPhone Cellular Carriers that support the Apple Watch, which models, the radio frequencies each model uses, and the country where they offer service:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

Do I need to purchase a separate plan for the cellular?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.