Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing photos on USB

Hello, I have a USB stick with 80GB of photos on. The USB stick has a USB-C head so I plug it directly into my iPad Pro (2018) and open the Files app. However, the files app just shows the loading symbol continuously. I am able to see the photos on both Windows and Mac laptops. Why is my iPad struggling to see the photos?

Thanks,

Ben

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 6:05 AM

Probably because there is 80 gig of them.

Try this, do you have another drive? If so, put on just a dozen or so photos and try again.

I know when I would plug in my camera memory card the more images on it, the longer it’d take

3 replies

Mar 31, 2020 5:18 AM in response to Community User

Perhaps. It likely comes down to processing power. It takes energy and time to read and generate thumbnails for that many photos. If you’ve been plugging it in bit by bit and allowed those thumbnails to be made a few at a time it may open it quicker, or it may not. What I noticed with mine was, as I filled up my 16 gig card from my camera it took a bit longer each time I plugged it in.

Mar 31, 2020 4:10 AM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for the reply. I thought this might be the case. Hopefully they’ll add better support for larger drives soon! Annoying that my ancient laptop can open the driven quickly but the iPad can’t.

Accessing photos on USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.