Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you find legacy system extensions?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 6:52 AM

If you are running Catalina 10.15.4 and are referring to the popups, they are just to let you know kexts will be deprecated in the next version of macOS. I don't know if there is a way to find them currently. Nothing to be concerned with.

7 replies

May 11, 2020 4:54 AM in response to ShawnTMoore

I don't know of a way to specifically find "legacy" system extensions; however, if you're looking for the extensions mentioned by the OS dialogs warning you about their deprecation, you can run the following in Terminal, noting the lines beginning with Signed by:

system_profiler SPExtensionsDataType

For example, macOS told me this morning I had a legacy extension signed by "Ploytec GmbH." Note the last line in the output below:

TASCAM_US1800:

Version: 3.00d8
      Last Modified: 2013-12-06, 08:52
      Bundle ID: com.tascam.us1800.driver
      Notarized: No
      Loaded: No
      Get Info String: US-1800 Driver Version 3.00d8 (build 3877)
      Obtained from: Identified Developer
      Kind: Intel
      Architectures: i386, x86_64
      64-Bit (Intel): Yes
      Kext Version: 3.0.0
      Loadable: Yes
      Dependencies: Deprecated
      Signed by: Developer ID Application: Ploytec GmbH (348SCJ68PR), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Mar 29, 2020 2:51 PM in response to dialabrain

I'm not technical but when I see that some legacy kernel extension(s) may stop working because they aren't going to be supported in the future, I become interested in knowing if something I am running will stop running in the future. That's why I'm also interested in knowing where and how to find them. If OS is smart enough to give me the message, can't it be smart enough to tell me what is on my machine that I should followup on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.