Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help getting audio with lightning adapter

Hi,

I am connecting an iPad Air to a projector using the lightning-to-HDMI adapter. So the adapter plugs into the iPad (via the lightning port) and then the HDMI cable from the projector connects to the adapter.

The image shows up on the projection screen perfectly. But there is no sound. When I unplug the adapter, the image disappears (obviously) but the sound immediately plays through the iPad speaker. Plug the adapter back in and the image shows up but the sound disappears.

There are no speakers in my projector, so I need the sound to play through the iPad speaker.

When I plug the HDMI cable directly into a PC laptop, the sound plays through the laptop speakers. But when I plug it into the lightning adapter, there is no sound.

What am I doing wrong here? I explored all of the audio settings in the iPad but didn't see anything. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! :)

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 8:35 AM

That is because sending audio in the laptop is different than the iPad. You have the option to send audio to a different source. For the iPad, the audio and video send through the adapter, and the adapter is getting the audio from the lightning cable and you cannot stop that. It does not have more than one source. Is that an Apple adapter? The new one with the USB-C costs more than that! That is what I have to use on my iPad Pro.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 8:35 AM in response to PaulKemp8924

That is because sending audio in the laptop is different than the iPad. You have the option to send audio to a different source. For the iPad, the audio and video send through the adapter, and the adapter is getting the audio from the lightning cable and you cannot stop that. It does not have more than one source. Is that an Apple adapter? The new one with the USB-C costs more than that! That is what I have to use on my iPad Pro.

Mar 27, 2020 9:55 AM in response to PaulKemp8924

Whilst I appreciate that this discussion is already marked as solved, there is both an explanation and a potential resolution if the AV system is set-up as designed.

Typically, when using an HDMI projector, it is the very last device in the HDMI chain.

In the vast majority of cases, as projectors lack audio capabilities, they are usually immediately preceded in the chain by an AV Amplifier. Audio/Video output from the HDMI source (e.g., iPad, Media Player, BluRay player etc) is passed to the AV Amp over HDMI - where audio is decoded, amplified and output directly to speakers - whist the video element is passed-through to the projector.

Mar 27, 2020 8:18 AM in response to PaulKemp8924

With the lightning and the HDMI connected, your audio is going through the HDMI to the projector. If the projector does not have audio speakers connected, there is no method to select the iPad to provide the audio. You will need to connect speakers to the projector.

Connecting the HDMI cable to the iPad is the same as connecting the headphones to the iPad, you audio would come through the headphones and not the iPad.

Mar 27, 2020 8:46 AM in response to PaulKemp8924

The Mac laptop should work like your current laptop. Thing is, not many Mac laptops have HDMI connectors now. If you have a newer Mac laptop, it may only have the USB-C connector. My USB-C adapter from Apple was $69. I've not tried to send audio through the HDMI adapter on my iPad Pro 11, or my MacBook Air. Both use the USB-C adapter. I very rarely use audio with my presentations at work, but then our projectors have speakers built in too. And with work closed now due to COVID-19, I cannot test it.

Help getting audio with lightning adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.