You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card reader not working

Using Apple brand SD card reader adapter, have no computer to format card, iPad Pro (2020) cannot read card at all, doesn’t even recognize adapter is plugged in.

Suggestions?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 1:11 PM

6 replies

Mar 27, 2020 1:55 PM in response to max_kaz

I understand that. I have one myself (the SD to lightning version)

Unless Apple has changed things, the reader is designed to pull images from a card. To be seen the images must be in a folder named DCIM (like your camera would do) and have an 8 character name (DSC_1234 for example)

The description of the adapter you have insinuates that as well

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUFG2AM/A/usb-c-to-sd-card-reader

If the images you have on that card are properly formatted and the ipad still isn’t seeing it then there may be an issue with the reader.

Mar 27, 2020 2:38 PM in response to max_kaz

This may take some digging and googling but you are right, the camera should automatically format the card correctly.

the one thing I wonder about is your card. I’ve had some issues in the past where readers have issues with SDHC, SDXC and the such. May not be the problem. A newer reader like this may not have the problems of others. It may also be possible that the reader isn’t working right.

What should happen is, when you plug the reader in, your photos app may or may not open, or if you open it, you will find a ‘import’ option in your photo app. That’s where you’d see the photos on the card.

Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support

SD card reader not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.