Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to log into Apple ID if I skipped during setup?

Hi all,

I recently got a new to me iMac (mid 2011 running on Yosemite 10.10.5), and while going through the initial setup I did see the prompt asking if I wanted to log in with my Apple ID. At the time I skipped the step because I couldn't remember my password. Now that I have my machine up and running, I'm wondering how do I log in my Apple ID for this computer?

When I go under System Preferences I do not see the usual sign in prompt that I am familiar with when on my Macbook Air. My biggest goal is I want to be able to access any documents I have saved in my iCloud drive. I did log into iCloud on this machine, but am not seeing any of my documents when I go to the iCloud drive in the Finder window.

I appreciate any help or feedback you all can give. Thank you all for your time!

iMac 21.5", OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 1:11 PM

You logged into System Preferences/iCloud? Have you allowed time for the documents to sync? If this is the first time signing in, it may take a couple of days for the sync to complete.

If necessary, try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and stop syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing. Allow time for the sync to complete.

Last resort  - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Get help using iCloud.     https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203521

Use the article below as a guide of where to sign in.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 1:11 PM in response to designmind07

You logged into System Preferences/iCloud? Have you allowed time for the documents to sync? If this is the first time signing in, it may take a couple of days for the sync to complete.

If necessary, try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and stop syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing. Allow time for the sync to complete.

Last resort  - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Get help using iCloud.     https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203521

Use the article below as a guide of where to sign in.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Mar 27, 2020 3:46 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Yes, I logged into iCloud from the Systems Preferences panel. I didn't give it much time to sync--maybe 15 minutes? I'll keep checking it periodically over the next few days to see if they sync up.

Yes, I did also try logging out and back in again. It didn't make a difference for me, unfortunately.

Thank you for sharing those articles, I will give them a read.

Thank you so much for you help, Eric! I appreciate it. :)

Mar 27, 2020 3:49 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

Hi Donv,

Logged into iCloud.com using my Apple ID, and all of the documents I'm looking for are there. All my photos are there too, but I'm not worried about getting any of those on this machine. So, everything is seemingly synching as it should from my other devices. Just aren't showing up when I view my iCloud drive in Finder while on this iMac, for some odd reason.

Mar 27, 2020 5:00 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

I believe so. When I go to iCloud from the Systems Preferences panel the next panel that pops up does show my Apple ID photo, name, the e-mail I used to create my Apple ID, along with buttons for Account Details, Set Up Family, and Sign Out. To the right of all of that it shows iCloud Drive, Photos, Mail, Contacts, etc. All of which have blue checks next to them.

Not sure if that answers your question, Donv.

I have noticed that my contacts have started showing up on this machine, so I think I'm heading in the right direction? I hope.

Again, thank you for all of your help/feedback!

How to log into Apple ID if I skipped during setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.