Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Panic Report] I just updated from OS Maverick to OS High Sierra

I just updated from OS Maverick to OS High Sierra. It keeps having this panic report every once in a while.

Anyone faces this issue too?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 11:55 AM

Is this the only panic report, or do you have others?

If others, do they have the same " Kernel trap at ..., type 14=page fault" signature? If you have additional kernel panics and they a different signature, could you please post them. A few would be helpful, as differences can tell us things, and all the same can tell us different things. Patterns and trends are useful information.

I suspect you have 3rd party Kingston RAM.

Do you also have a 3rd party disk (maybe SSD) as well?

The problem with this panic signature, it does not tell us much, so I'm making guesses based on what limited information is available and past history of looking at kernel panics.

You DO NOT have 3rd party kernel extensions, so that is not an issue (3rd party kernel extensions are the #1 cause)

I suspect you have 3rd party Kingston RAM. Failing 3rd party RAM is the #2 cause of macOS kernel panics. However, the panic signature tends to be different, a failing RAM can actually appear in many forms, so I'm not going to dismiss RAM.

If you have a 3rd party replacement disk (very common to install and SSD for overall improved performance), that is also a possibility. A low one but it cannot be eliminated.

So you could run a RAM test to see if it finds anything (not finding anything does not prove your RAM is good, it just means it did not find anything)

Rember

<http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/>

Quit as many apps and background tasks as you can (such as menu bar items) so more RAM is available for testing.  Booting into Safe mode <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564> can also free up more RAM for testing, by not loading any 3rd party additions you may have installed.

Set Loops: [X] Maximum

and run overnight

Also if you have your original Apple provided RAM, you could try putting it back and seeing if the panic returns (not always a fun think to do). Also you would have to be having kernel panics on a regular basis, so that swapping back in the original RAM would be able to tell you in a reasonable period of time that the old RAM solved the problem. If you do not panic often, a swap could be just a pain that doesn't prove anything.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 11:55 AM in response to keithlinnozel

Is this the only panic report, or do you have others?

If others, do they have the same " Kernel trap at ..., type 14=page fault" signature? If you have additional kernel panics and they a different signature, could you please post them. A few would be helpful, as differences can tell us things, and all the same can tell us different things. Patterns and trends are useful information.

I suspect you have 3rd party Kingston RAM.

Do you also have a 3rd party disk (maybe SSD) as well?

The problem with this panic signature, it does not tell us much, so I'm making guesses based on what limited information is available and past history of looking at kernel panics.

You DO NOT have 3rd party kernel extensions, so that is not an issue (3rd party kernel extensions are the #1 cause)

I suspect you have 3rd party Kingston RAM. Failing 3rd party RAM is the #2 cause of macOS kernel panics. However, the panic signature tends to be different, a failing RAM can actually appear in many forms, so I'm not going to dismiss RAM.

If you have a 3rd party replacement disk (very common to install and SSD for overall improved performance), that is also a possibility. A low one but it cannot be eliminated.

So you could run a RAM test to see if it finds anything (not finding anything does not prove your RAM is good, it just means it did not find anything)

Rember

<http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/>

Quit as many apps and background tasks as you can (such as menu bar items) so more RAM is available for testing.  Booting into Safe mode <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564> can also free up more RAM for testing, by not loading any 3rd party additions you may have installed.

Set Loops: [X] Maximum

and run overnight

Also if you have your original Apple provided RAM, you could try putting it back and seeing if the panic returns (not always a fun think to do). Also you would have to be having kernel panics on a regular basis, so that swapping back in the original RAM would be able to tell you in a reasonable period of time that the old RAM solved the problem. If you do not panic often, a swap could be just a pain that doesn't prove anything.

Mar 30, 2020 3:25 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob. Thanks for the detailed explanation on this. I really appreciate it!

Yes apparently all 3 other reports have the 14=page fault as well.

I actually got this iMac from a secondhand seller. Therefore, I'm unsure if the RAM or HDD is 3rd party. That being said, I haven't experience any kernel panics when I was on OS Maverick or OS El Capitan either. It seems like a hardware/software compatibility with the 2011 iMac.

I am attaching my HDD, RAM and Kernel Reports for your reference below.

Mar 30, 2020 9:07 AM in response to keithlinnozel

I think you have a "Western Digital" disk. Generally the original disk says "Apple"

And I think you have Kingston RAM. Not 100% sure about the RAM, but if the disk was changed, it adds weight to the argument the RAM was changed out as well. Also replacing RAM with a 3rd party is common and easy for an iMac.

I would run the Rember RAM test overnight. And if you are lucky it will find a RAM problem. If not, you still cannot be sure the RAM is good.

With respect the disk replacements. They sometimes get in trouble if the SATA cable from the motherboard to the disk is damaged. The disk itself failing does not tend to panic the system, but a damaged SATA cable can.

Finally, if it is not one of the above, that leaves some general hardware error.

You could try running the hardware diagnostics

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

If the Apple Stores were not closed, I would suggest having the Genius Bar run their diagnostics, as they have more extensive versions, but that is not possible at the moment.

Apr 8, 2020 11:28 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob. Yes I believed both the disk and RAM were upgraded and changed out.

Right now, I'm experiencing a kernel panic every single every I shut down my iMac. It would reboot instead to inform me of the kernel panic, then I can safely shut it down.

I just ran the Rember RAM test and it got into a kernel panic after the first test:

Memtest version 4.22 (64-bit)

Copyright (C) 2004 Charles Cazabon

Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Tony Scaminaci (Macintosh port)

Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 only

Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G12034) running in multiuser mode

Memory Page Size: 4096

System has 4 Intel core(s) with SSE

Requested memory: 13105MB (13742100480 bytes)

Available memory: 13105MB (13742100480 bytes)

Allocated memory: 13105MB (13742100480 bytes) at local address 0x0000000103dd3000

Attempting memory lock... locked successfully

Partitioning memory into 2 comparison buffers...

Buffer A: 6552MB (6871050240 bytes) starts at local address 0x0000000103dd3000

Buffer B: 6552MB (6871050240 bytes) starts at local address 0x000000029d691800

Running 255 test sequences... (CTRL-C to quit)

Test sequence 1 of 255:

Running tests on full 13105MB region...

Stuck Address : setting 1 of 16 ok

Linear PRN : setting 1 of 16

FAILURE! Data mismatch at local address 0x000000023197da10

Expected Data: 0x82c64ddbdccac48e, Actual Data: 0x82c64ddbdccad48e

Running comparison tests using 6552MB buffers...

Random Value :

Apr 8, 2020 2:48 PM in response to keithlinnozel

OK. I think you may have failing RAM. Rember is reporting a mismatch. That is never good.

Try calling Kingston and see if they will honor your RAM, even though you get it second hand.

If Kingston says you have to be the original buyer (which is fair), then you could just look to upgrade your RAM from OWC <http://MacSales.com> or <http://Crucial.com>

You can get 16GB for under $100 U.S.

Bob Harris

[Panic Report] I just updated from OS Maverick to OS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.