Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Stair stepper" activity on Apple Watch 4 when walking building steps

First, I selected "stair stepper" activity on watch and clicked to start. Walked up 12 flights of steps in my building and then took elevator down. Repeated (for total of 10 times until I climbed 120 flights. Apple watch only recorded 58 flights.

Next, I repeated the above (120 flights) and didn't select "stair stepper". Apple watch recorded 120 flights.

Has anyone had similar experience? Assume that using "stair stepper" activity for this kind of exercise will not yield accurate results. Your thoughts?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 1:59 AM

If you look at the stair stepper and stairs workout type metrics you'll see that only time and calories are measured which would explain why the flights aren't accurate,the default exercise app does use the barometric altimiter by default which would explain why the flights are much more accurate.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 1:59 AM in response to Geoffrey Radbill

If you look at the stair stepper and stairs workout type metrics you'll see that only time and calories are measured which would explain why the flights aren't accurate,the default exercise app does use the barometric altimiter by default which would explain why the flights are much more accurate.

"Stair stepper" activity on Apple Watch 4 when walking building steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.