Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove one administrator account in Catalina

In the transition and moving everything from my old iMac to a new Mac mini I have managed to create two Administrator accounts with a little different contents on the Mini's HD. Reason: To ease the transition I first sent two and then the last of the three file options (System, Documents and the rest (don't remember the English term). A silly action. Now I have been trying over and over and over again to get rid of one of these two accounts. In vain. I guess a guest account easily can be removed, but apparently not this number two Admin. account as it is constantly greyed out.

I should highly appreciate intelligible instructions on how to do this and get the Mini in a correct and full order with just one Administrator accountAdmin.

Many hopeful regards,

Bjorn Eithun

Oslo, Norway

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 2:09 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 29, 2020 2:40 PM in response to Bjorne

Bjorne Said:

In the transition and moving everything from my old iMac to a new Mac mini I have managed to create two Administrator accounts with a little different contents on the Mini's HD.[...]

———-

Try this:

Transfer it All — Manually:

First, Reformat the Hard Drive, then Transfer it all over:

1. Reformatting the Hard Drive:

Start by exporting all documents to an external drive. Then, rid of a user. If that is of no success, then reinstall the Mac, erasing the entire hard drive before the installation. But, for the sake of losing a successful installation, back up your Mac using Time Machine Backup, prior to the reformat.

2. Transfer it All - Use Migration Assistant:

Once reinstalled, use Migration Assistant to move over the documents and such.

transfer it all over using migration assistant. Go Here: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Mar 30, 2020 5:10 AM in response to dialabrain

Problem solved! Thank you very much for your willingness to help. I

have read your replies carefully, netlinks inclusive. The same password

for both accounts (albeit with different user names) was the culprit.

But changing password in the account I wanted to delete, simply opened

it up for deletion right away! Again, my sincere thanks for good advice

and suggestions!

Mar 30, 2020 6:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Never thought of that before, but I see the point, and will be remembering it.

But then the two accounts (with the same user) must give access to identical HD contents, not two accounts with different contents, as happened to me. OK then, two administrators but with different passwords or user names, I guess, could be an alternative, if any.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

How to remove one administrator account in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.