Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cycling without selecting "outdoor cycle" activity

I did a 30-mile ride and forgot to select "outdoor cycling" activity on my Apple Watch 4. Discovered my faux pas at the finish. Watch recorded 100+ flights, lots of steps (9K+, and minimal calories (500+) when compared to those that consistently record when I remember to select "outdoor cycling" activity.

When selecting "outdoor cycling" activity, my stats will be 30 miles, 1100+ calories, 16.2 mph, 120 average heart rate, 0 steps and 0 flights.

Does anyone know why the big discrepancy in calories? Also, I though that Apple Watch would recognize cycling activity - guess not.

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:27 PM

Hi there, Geoffrey.

I see that you forgot to select the specific activity you were using to work out. When you finished, the amount of calories expended were less that when you cycle, and I'm glad to help with this.

Workout types on Apple Watch -- Each of the workout types provided includes a calculation regarding calories used. It appears that your Watch only registered your "steps", and walking or climbing stairs doesn't use as many calories as when you're cycling.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 3:27 PM in response to Geoffrey Radbill

Hi there, Geoffrey.

I see that you forgot to select the specific activity you were using to work out. When you finished, the amount of calories expended were less that when you cycle, and I'm glad to help with this.

Workout types on Apple Watch -- Each of the workout types provided includes a calculation regarding calories used. It appears that your Watch only registered your "steps", and walking or climbing stairs doesn't use as many calories as when you're cycling.

Take care.

cycling without selecting "outdoor cycle" activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.