Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone thinks I'm in Belgium but I'm in UK. Am I being charged international call charges?

My iPhone thinks I'm in Belgium but I'm in the UK. Am I being charged international call charges?

I've checked location services, my icloud ID location, my app store/appleID/itunes locations....

Support sites that come up in the search direct me to change location in these places.

But all these places say I am in the UK (which I am! I live here).

When I put in a new phone number to my contacts, the country chosen is Belgium.

If I change the country to the UK, it still insists I call them as if from Belgium.

And I cannot phone my neighbours without using our international country code!

Anyone have a clue, please, where the location nation for addresses & phone numbers is automated?

Thanks for ANY help.

xo j

iPhone SE

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 3:11 AM

Alright, this odd little fix worked!

In case anyone else needs to know....

Go to > settings > general > language and region >

and even though you have it set at the correct country/region (in my case the UK),

change it to the incorrect country/region that is coming up. In my case, this was Belgium.

Then ...change it again.... to the correct country/region.

After changing it to Belgum, I was curious to see if my contact list still said Belgium...

BEFORE finishing the fix....

weirdly, they were already back to the UK format!! o.O

I changed again to the UK, as instructed. Thankfully they remain in the correct UK format now

in my contact list.

Whew! grateful for forums everywhere and thanks to those that tried to help here.

Trying is at least 90% to the finish line.

All the Best to you and to yours,

xoj

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Keith Doherty3

Alright, this odd little fix worked!

In case anyone else needs to know....

Go to > settings > general > language and region >

and even though you have it set at the correct country/region (in my case the UK),

change it to the incorrect country/region that is coming up. In my case, this was Belgium.

Then ...change it again.... to the correct country/region.

After changing it to Belgum, I was curious to see if my contact list still said Belgium...

BEFORE finishing the fix....

weirdly, they were already back to the UK format!! o.O

I changed again to the UK, as instructed. Thankfully they remain in the correct UK format now

in my contact list.

Whew! grateful for forums everywhere and thanks to those that tried to help here.

Trying is at least 90% to the finish line.

All the Best to you and to yours,

xoj

Mar 30, 2020 2:23 AM in response to cosmoblivion

This has nothing to do with your iPhone, for that matter not any phone. It has nothing to do with location services either, nor your iCloud ID location, nor app store/appleID/iTunes locations

It solely depends on the SIM card that you are using.

Please put a SIM card of UK and things will change.

I can use a SIM purchased from India (International Roaming) use my Apple ID with US as Country Region on my iPhone and physically be in Australia with location services ON. Can you guess what will happen? If I dial a local number in Australia I will have to use Australian Country code as prefix and it is an international call for the India SIM. My Apple ID has no role to play

Mar 30, 2020 6:26 AM in response to SravanKrA

My sim card is a UK sim card. I have a UK Virgin account that is an ongoing contract.

Additionally, my UK Virgin sim account covers me should I go traveling out of the country, which of course isn't possible currently due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

So, I am very familiar with how to change the sim when traveling. I don't even have to purchase other sims; this Virgin account covers the change of location.

Again, as I said in my original post, I am a resident of the UK and I am currently here right now having this issue. This iphone is my main phone and the only sim I own or use.

Thanks for trying out a solution.

Mar 30, 2020 7:22 AM in response to SravanKrA

What does the DOG say at the top of your screen on the phone and what network is indicated - should be Virgin

Oh and where are you in the UK because unless you are round the Kent coast between Whitstable and Margate and perhaps Foulness in Essex it surpassingly unlikely the phone has roamed onto a Belgian network accidentally.

I have had my phone roam onto Bouygues in whilst in Westgate in the past and thats a French network

The DOG would say Proximus, Orange or BASE if it were connected to a Belgian Network .

Oh and to set the Language and region correctly you need to Navigate

Settings General Languages

Iphone Language - Set to English UK - this is wrong on your iPhone

Region - United Kingdom

Calendar - Gregorian

Temp- C

Mar 31, 2020 11:22 AM in response to Keith Doherty3

Thanks, Keith, for your thoughtful reply.

My DOG says Virgin.

Since I opened this thread, I have discovered, (through searching online),

that this is a reported/known issue with apple iphones...

even when not crossing national borders.

Apparently, because the internet protocol service can be wide ranging? but it isn't known.

Anyway, I am going to try a solution offered that doesn't sound permanent...

to undo the United Kingdom country/region and put it in the adjacent country/region;

then change it back to the correct country/region.

Sounds a bit absurd. I'll close this thread, if it works.

Until I get to sit down and try it, hasty banana!

xoj

My iPhone thinks I'm in Belgium but I'm in UK. Am I being charged international call charges?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.