Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win32:Malware-gen problem

I have just tried to install the new 64bit version of Ancestral quest in Catalina.

When it is being installed I get a message that I don't have permission to access some of the items followed by a pop up from my AVG anti virus telling me that oleview.exe is infected with Win32:Malware-gen and has been quarantined.

The installation then stops.

I have contacted Incline Software but, as yet, have had no reply.

I assume that because installation stopped the Mac has not been affected but I cannot, therefore, install the software.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Ken

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 4:06 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 30, 2020 4:20 AM in response to popslairoux

popslairoux wrote:

I have just tried to install the new 64bit version of Ancestral quest in Catalina.
When it is being installed I get a message that I don't have permission to access some of the items followed by a pop up from my AVG anti virus telling me that oleview.exe is infected with Win32:Malware-gen and has been quarantined.
The installation then stops.
I have contacted Incline Software but, as yet, have had no reply.
I assume that because installation stopped the Mac has not been affected but I cannot, therefore, install the software.
Has anyone else come across this problem?

Ken

Third party Anti virus typically cause nothing but issues, false positives , and Windows PUPS.

Therefore the recommendation is to uninstall AVG using the official uninstaller.

interfering with Apples own built in security.

ref: macOS - Security - Apple

https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Since there are no virus effecting the Mac —however if you suspect you have installed adware/malware. Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Mar 30, 2020 5:14 AM in response to popslairoux

There have been years of users posting in these communities that their anti-virus has caused issues, not only with false positives, but interfering with normal application, and operating system performance. When the recommendation to uninstall the anti-virus was followed, the original issues reported by these users went away.

There is a reason Apple has built-in security in the operating system.

If you would rather itch than scratch, then that is ultimately up to you. We cannot help further, especially if you are installing Windows software on a Mac.

Mar 30, 2020 6:08 AM in response to popslairoux

There are no macOS viruses, potential or otherwise.

"AVG" identified a Windows program which may or may not be a Windows virus. Provided you obtained Ancestral Quest from a valid source authorized by its developer, it's probably a false positive anyway.

Whether or not it's a valid detection, .exe programs are inert on Macs. I don't know why that program installer even contains a Windows executable, but whatever the reason may be, "AVG" is preventing Ancestral Quest's installer from working. Preventing Macs from functioning properly is all non-Apple "anti-virus" junk will ever do. Don't install those things.

Mar 30, 2020 6:56 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks again, John.

Ancestral Quest came direct from the developer. The original version 16, which was 32bit, installed and ran perfectly and didn't upset AVG.

The new install, following the upgrade to Catalina, was a new 64bit version of the same software.

As far as I know, AC itself is (and always has been) an .exe program installed using CrossOver from Codeweavers so, presumably, the problem file has always been there, just not been a problem.

Could be the tweaking to 64bit required or altered it to cause this problem.

I had a thought after starting this discussion and have gone to the source i.e Codeweavers and queried it with them, so maybe they can come up with a solution.

Mar 30, 2020 7:13 AM in response to popslairoux

A lot of Windows product developers port them to Macs using Windows development tools, bringing all their Windows problems along with them. Why they insist upon that is a mystery to me when it's better to do things right the first time: Macs ≠ PCs.

Of course the same exact observation applies to "AVG" as well as all similarly categorized junk. It's a Windows product for Windows problems. As a Mac user you don't have to participate.

I understand the allure of running Windows programs on Macs, but if you want to do that you're better off purchasing Microsoft Windows and using Boot Camp. Using virtualization software is a distant second.

In the meantime rid your Mac of the "AVG" garbage and your problems are over.

I had a thought after starting this discussion and have gone to the source i.e Codeweavers and queried it with them, so maybe they can come up with a solution.

Ok but they're not likely to be interested since "AVG" isn't their product either. CodeWeavers is almost certain to tell you to take it up with them. Not their problem.

Mar 30, 2020 10:01 AM in response to popslairoux

popslairoux wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
Ancestral Quest is, basically, a Windows program using Codeweavers CrossOver software to run on a Mac.
Re AVG, see my reply to leroydouglas.

Well then it doesn't really matter if it has a Windows virus embedded in it if the useless AVG is actually correct. The malware cannot affect your Mac, even while running within CodeWeaver's virtual environment.

Mar 30, 2020 10:35 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

My thanks to all who have replied.

Have now heard from AQs developers that anti virus software IS reporting false positives and that, in their words, their software has been "notarized" by Apple to confirm that it does not contain any malware.

As nearly everyone here said, either turn off or uninstall the anti virus and the problem is solved.

Just done it and no problems!

Mar 30, 2020 10:46 AM in response to popslairoux

As nearly everyone here said, either turn off or uninstall the anti virus and the problem is solved.

The latter (uninstalling) is required, because non-Apple "anti-virus" developers are generally incompetent anyway. Merely turning them off does not prevent them from interfering with proper Mac operation. You're welcome to peruse this site for many examples.

Even their uninstallation instructions often don't work, demonstrating that incompetence.

In the absence of that knowledge follow these instructions: Uninstalling AVG AntiVirus and AVG Internet Security from Mac. It's been a long time since I verified their effectiveness.

Win32:Malware-gen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.