Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Google Search Issues on MacBook Air

Safari won't search in Google, even though it's the preferred engine. When I type anything into Google, it searches with Yahoo/Safe Finder. I have deleted cache.db and all extensions. I'm running on High Sierra, if that matters.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:31 AM

ltaylor1001 Said:

"Safari Google Search Issues on MacBook Air: Safari won't search in Google, even though it's the preferred engine. When I type anything into Google, it searches with Yahoo/Safe Finder. I have deleted cache.db and all extensions. I'm running on High Sierra, if that matters."

-------

Having Cleared your Temporary Internet Files, a Few Thoughts:

• Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

• Try a Different Search Engine than Google.

While in Safari, try a different search engine. Maybe changing the Default Search Engine in Safari Preferences would so. Try using duckduckgo.com (it's fairly new in today's world of the Internet, and might not have as much network traffic going on.

• Try a Different Browser:

Google Chrome might make usage of Google go bit faster (Think of it as Google-for-Google). Mozilla FireFox might be the best bet, being that it is not directly involved with Google, nor Apple, like Chrome and Safari are, respectively.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 11:31 AM in response to ltaylor1001

ltaylor1001 Said:

"Safari Google Search Issues on MacBook Air: Safari won't search in Google, even though it's the preferred engine. When I type anything into Google, it searches with Yahoo/Safe Finder. I have deleted cache.db and all extensions. I'm running on High Sierra, if that matters."

-------

Having Cleared your Temporary Internet Files, a Few Thoughts:

• Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

• Try a Different Search Engine than Google.

While in Safari, try a different search engine. Maybe changing the Default Search Engine in Safari Preferences would so. Try using duckduckgo.com (it's fairly new in today's world of the Internet, and might not have as much network traffic going on.

• Try a Different Browser:

Google Chrome might make usage of Google go bit faster (Think of it as Google-for-Google). Mozilla FireFox might be the best bet, being that it is not directly involved with Google, nor Apple, like Chrome and Safari are, respectively.

Mar 30, 2020 12:04 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for the info! I ran MacKeeper and I didn't have any malware or anything. I'm just not sure why Google won't run the search, if that's how I have my preferences set up - even if I go to Google.com, enter an item in the search bar, it moves to Yahoo. I deleted all extensions, so there shouldn't be anything getting switched there. Any other ideas?

Mar 30, 2020 1:39 PM in response to ltaylor1001

ltaylor1001 Said:

"Safari Google Search Issues on MacBook Air: Thank you for the info! I ran MacKeeper and I didn't have any malware or anything. I'm just not sure why Google won't run the search[...]"

--------

You are welcome.

Rid of Security Software (MacKeeper):

Boom! That is why: MacKeeper is getting in the way. Security Software is unnecessary on a Mac. It just gets in the way, and this is a pure example why. So, uninstall MacKeeper.

Use an Uninstaller:

Note that, just dragging and dropping it into the Trash will leave caches an all other Temporary Internet Files laying about your Mac. So, use the uninstaller, as all would be uninstalled successfully. Contact the developer, if you are uncertain as to how to uninstall the application.

Why, Malwarebytes is Trustworthy:

The only Security Software deemed reliable for Macs would be: MalwareBytes for Mac.  It’s trustworthy, free, and updates daily. It is developed by longtime users of these forums. So, rid of your MacKeeper and all other Security Software on your Mac.

Safari Google Search Issues on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.