Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying Trash

Grateful for any help with this.... I use an external drive to backup using TimeMachine. On one occasion it said drive was full so I looked at the drive and deleted a bunch of old backups.... this may have been as mistake as they are now in Trash and I'm struggling to get rid of them from there. The computer has also become unstable (frequent crashes for first time ever though still 110Gb free disk space).

would appreciate any advice on how to empty the trash and start again.

thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 4:42 AM

thanks to everyone who helped with this. Combination of Boot into Recovery Mode followed by re-connecting the external drive and a bit of patience seems to have solved the problem and MacOs back to being stable as it normally is.

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 30, 2020 11:37 AM in response to MancRog

MancRog Said:

"I use an external drive to backup using TimeMachine. On one occasion it said drive was full so I looked at the drive and deleted a bunch of old backups.... this may have been as mistake as they are now in Trash and I'm struggling to get rid of them from there. The computer has also become unstable (frequent crashes for first time ever though still 110Gb free disk space)."

-------

Plug the Hard Drive Back In:

If you have deleted these, well then they could be very large-sized files. So, to delete these, plug the hard drive back into the Mac. It might take a bit, but the deletion will get done one after the other.

Apr 2, 2020 7:42 AM in response to MancRog

MancRig Said:

thanks to everyone who helped with this. Combination of Boot into Recovery Mode followed by re-connecting the external drive and a bit of patience seems to have solved the problem and MacOs back to being stable as it normally is.

———-

You’re Welcome!

Great! I’m glad your all set! Patience paid off! And I’m glad to have helped!

Emptying Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.