Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up an unresponsive IPad?

Hi, today I opened my iPad to find about 50% of my apps were invisible/blank and would not open.

naturally, I restarted it

now the iPad is currently alternating between the white screen with the black apple and an entirely black screen.

I tried shutting it down again but that simply returns it to a black screen, and the white screen with the black apple appears again shortly

next I tried plugging my iPad into my Apple computer, but it did not register with iTunes.

I searched the web and found out about “Recovery mode” and that seems to be my only option... one problem: my iPad is not backed up

is there a way to back up my iPad when it is not registering in iTunes (unless in recovery mode?)

my iPad is an IPad Pro 2015

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:39 PM

Go to recovery mode (press and hold home button while connecting cable to your computer and keep holding till you see iTunes logo.)

then click update iPad. If you are Lucky, you may be able to fix the issue and keep your data.

unfortunately if it doesn’t work you’ll have to restore which will erase all data. No choice. Next time remember to do frequent backups to iCloud or iTunes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 11:39 PM in response to Sithich

Go to recovery mode (press and hold home button while connecting cable to your computer and keep holding till you see iTunes logo.)

then click update iPad. If you are Lucky, you may be able to fix the issue and keep your data.

unfortunately if it doesn’t work you’ll have to restore which will erase all data. No choice. Next time remember to do frequent backups to iCloud or iTunes.

How do I back up an unresponsive IPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.