Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the latest Revision of Trusted Root Certificates get installed/updated automatically with iOS updates to my device? If not how is it controlled?

Does the latest Revision of Trusted Root Certificates get installed/updated automatically with iOS updates to my device? If not how is it controlled?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:50 AM

Nevermind. I think it was just answered with the latest rev to iOS 13.4 and it did update on my phone and iPad to Trust Store Version 2020020700. So they do release the updates within the iOS updates if there is a rev change to it. Thanks for the help.

3 replies

Apr 1, 2020 9:30 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you. I may be mistaken, but in the past, I beleive that the trust certificates (listed in settings on my devices i General(About as Certificate Trust Settings of which Apple controls the revision as part of Document Control and updates periodically as certificates expire/renew/cancell, there is a change in the process, or audit finding,etc and would release the new rev to users. 

I did not verify but I assumed they were updated as part up the releases of the upper level documents as the releases of operating system revision levels were deployed,. Perhaps independent but every time I noticed a Revision change on Apple’s website, I checked and noticed that the revision on my devices had been updated to the latest rev level, particularly noticing after there had been a violation by the industry/registered oversite/registrar/sub-tier/oversite party etc due to some reason not usually defined in the rev level release other than some vague paragraph explaining what Apple was doing goe containment and short term corrective action. But regardless, I would just check and make aure I had the latest rev and sure enough on my devices they had always been up to date at that point (the rev dates were always pretty much within the past six months but more or less matched what the latest revision Apple showed to be the newest on their Rev Control master that the link takes you to in your device settings.

But, at least on mine the past year, its been a rev or two behind on my iPhone and I have been downloading the iOS updates as automatically set. I was just wondering if there was some other way those would be updated and if so, how would we (and what would be the reason why they would not be explained in the rev releases on their website now as to how those are deployed now) know were using the latest approved certificate “Trust Store Version”, particularly if one of the Certificate Authorities had a major violation issued and findings noted where they had been found in severe cases of not controling the validity of the certificates they were supplying for trustted roots. 

If that explains sufficiently, I hope. 

And my concern there as well. Maybe just ahead of a release forth coming but its been several iOS updates (at least the minor ones anyway) and the link on my latest rev installed on my iphone (2018121000 which is a newer release) still takes me to a rev that is pertaining to iOS 12 (2018071800) and I cant find any place where any updates after iOS12 are listed (and I assume I have the latest as 2018121000 or approx Dec of 2018 and no newer updates but I dont know why its not shown on Apples link now (maybe just me and I dont see it shown anywhere)

And thank you for responding and asking to clarify. I hope it makes sense what i am asking.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.