Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air low on memory?

Good Morning

I need assistant in figuring out the message I am getting. My daughter is utilizing zoom for her school virtual learning. Only when we run zoom we get the message of “low memory “ none of the other apps have issue. Please anyone who can help. Do I need to upgrade storage?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 7:26 AM

That's good news.

There are a few things you can do that might provide some clues as to its appearance and ultimately lead to resolving it. They can be a bit time-consuming and potentially intrusive to your daughter's work, so you'll need to find a time when you can do that. For example the first thing I'd like to see is a screenshot of that message when it appears so that I can confirm it's what I think it is.

In the interest of time that would be otherwise spent on a lot of iterative back-and-forth discussions, I suggest using the following program: Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. It includes instructions for pasting its report in a reply to this Discussion. If you need any help with that please write back.

It's important to determine the legitimacy of that message because certain notorious adware has been known to result in its appearance. This is a screenshot of a recent example:

The point I'm trying to make is that dialog is completely bogus. You can see for yourself the Mac in that example has plenty of available memory.

It's also easily fixed. But I don't yet know whether it's what you're experiencing or not. That's the reason I'm suggesting EtreCheck. It'll make things easier for both of us.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 7:26 AM in response to ayesha124

That's good news.

There are a few things you can do that might provide some clues as to its appearance and ultimately lead to resolving it. They can be a bit time-consuming and potentially intrusive to your daughter's work, so you'll need to find a time when you can do that. For example the first thing I'd like to see is a screenshot of that message when it appears so that I can confirm it's what I think it is.

In the interest of time that would be otherwise spent on a lot of iterative back-and-forth discussions, I suggest using the following program: Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. It includes instructions for pasting its report in a reply to this Discussion. If you need any help with that please write back.

It's important to determine the legitimacy of that message because certain notorious adware has been known to result in its appearance. This is a screenshot of a recent example:

The point I'm trying to make is that dialog is completely bogus. You can see for yourself the Mac in that example has plenty of available memory.

It's also easily fixed. But I don't yet know whether it's what you're experiencing or not. That's the reason I'm suggesting EtreCheck. It'll make things easier for both of us.

Mar 31, 2020 1:01 PM in response to John Galt

Thank God. So after a lot of detection I found out that my MacBook Air was infected of this application “ BeAware” . Once I delete and restarted my laptop, message about the low memory stopped popping up. I believe my kids must have accidentally clicked on this application while playing games. Apparently it’s an anti virus application.

Thank you for all your help. I could have not done it without your suggestions.

MacBook Air low on memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.