Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro to iMac - Sharing Options

Hi,

Given that i am working from home now, I'm looking to utilise my Home iMac (Late 2015) and my Work MacBook Pro (15-inch 2016).

What i'm trying to achieve is:

A: Use the iMac as a second screen

or

B: A robust file transfer method - ideally so that i can access the files and drives of MacBook pro

Airdrop is not an option for me, and the ethernet bridge from iMac to the pro's usb c (using adapters) has not worked (i believe the work security settings are preventing connectivity, as i can find it on the network). Screen sharing app has worked, but it is not a second screen and has much lag.

Any help to achieve the above would be much appreciated. Happy to use Hardware and/or Software solutions to implement this.

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 8:42 AM

Beanstir wrote:

Hi,

Given that i am working from home now, I'm looking to utilise my Home iMac (Late 2015) and my Work MacBook Pro (15-inch 2016).

or
B: A robust file transfer method - ideally so that i can access the files and drives of MacBook pro

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Share files on your Mac with other devices - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Beanstir

Beanstir wrote:

Hi,

or

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Share files on your Mac with other devices - Apple Support

Apr 1, 2020 1:18 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroydouglas,

Thanks for the links, i have exhausted apples resources, and am now turning to the community. The links provided are not useful because:

Second Screen:

• My iMac (late 2015) doesn't support target display

Files transfer:

• I was ideally looking for a local connection, i'm aware of the WAN options (iCloud/email), i'm working off multiple servers only my MacBook Pro (work device) can access. I understand the principle of sending files to another device to work on, although i am looking to access the macbooks files and drives directly from the iMac.
  • Filesharing is not working, over wired (thunderbolt ethernet bridge, as stated) or wifi - potentially due to admin rights/VPN/Security System on work mac. And before i purchase the cables for thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3, i fear the Target disk mode will be the same result.

Any workarounds, software or proven solutions to my unique issues would be very helpful?

thank you

Macbook Pro to iMac - Sharing Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.