Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iPad 2

Hoping to give my old iPad to my grandson for home-schooling but the specific App is looking for ios 11+.

My iPad says it's up to date at v9.3.5 . Is it possible to get around this?

Thanks.

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 6:12 AM

Sorry, no.

Update support for iPad2 formally ended September 2016. The final supported release is iOS 9.3.5 (for WiFi Only) and 9.3.6 (for WiFi and Cellular) models. These iPads cannot be update to later major versions of iOS as they do not meet the minimum hardware requirements for newer versions of iOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS12 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Even the basic current iPad model supports current iPadOS 13.x - and has hardware specifications that will vastly outperform your old iPad2.

Sorry, this is clearly not the news that you were hoping to hear.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating your current options and potential ways forward.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 6:12 AM in response to actually2020

Sorry, no.

Update support for iPad2 formally ended September 2016. The final supported release is iOS 9.3.5 (for WiFi Only) and 9.3.6 (for WiFi and Cellular) models. These iPads cannot be update to later major versions of iOS as they do not meet the minimum hardware requirements for newer versions of iOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS12 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Even the basic current iPad model supports current iPadOS 13.x - and has hardware specifications that will vastly outperform your old iPad2.

Sorry, this is clearly not the news that you were hoping to hear.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating your current options and potential ways forward.

Updating iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.