Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max home gesture randomly lags and fails

I'm wondering if my iPhone is defective. Having owned the X and the XS previously, I'm very familiar with the gestures. As soon as I got my 11 Pro Max, I noticed that randomly, when doing the gesture to go home (swipe up from the home bar), the animation would stutter/lag, resulting in the multitasking (card) view instead - as if I swiped up and held. At first, I assumed I swiped wrong or my finger was cold or dry, but it started happening more and more. I've tried with or without screen protectors. The only thing that seems to briefly help is a reboot. Then after a short while, it starts happening again. Now it's to the point where it's driving me crazy. I got my phone back in November, so I can't blame any iOS updates on it. I've tried searching the web for this but no one seems to be experiencing it. I'm not even sure how to effectively search for it. The best way to describe it is that about one out of every five times when I swipe up to leave an app and go home, the animation stutters and instead it goes to the multitasking view. I've been paying close attention to make sure I'm doing the gesture correctly. I've tried doing it faster or slower. It doesn't really make a difference. I'm at the point now where I'm going to resort to calling Apple, but I'm pretty sure they'll have no idea. I just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this before going the support route. I should also note that I tried some of the suggestions people had for the 2018 iPad Pro's touch issues such as turning on touch accommodations, but nothing helps. Thank you.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:38 AM

All the standard stuff like resetting settings and a factory reset did not work, but I wanted to update this post with a workaround that someone mentioned elsewhere that seems to have done the trick. If anyone else experiences this or general performance degradation, try disabling the "Listen for 'Hey Siri'" setting. This has worked for me. My phone is snappier and there seem to be no more failed gestures. You'd think the Pro phones would have enough processing power to handle this, but it appears that listening all the time was becoming too taxing on my phone. Maybe there's a bug somewhere, but until Apple figures out what is going on, this workaround has been helpful for me.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Flyer00

All the standard stuff like resetting settings and a factory reset did not work, but I wanted to update this post with a workaround that someone mentioned elsewhere that seems to have done the trick. If anyone else experiences this or general performance degradation, try disabling the "Listen for 'Hey Siri'" setting. This has worked for me. My phone is snappier and there seem to be no more failed gestures. You'd think the Pro phones would have enough processing power to handle this, but it appears that listening all the time was becoming too taxing on my phone. Maybe there's a bug somewhere, but until Apple figures out what is going on, this workaround has been helpful for me.

Apr 3, 2020 1:32 PM in response to Flyer00

Hello Flyer00,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you're having issues swiping up to get back to the home screen; I'd like to help.

Try the following steps to see if they help resolve the issue.

Make sure your iPhone is up to date:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you continue to have this issue after making sure your iPhone is up to date, let's make sure you have a fresh backup of your iPhone:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

When the iPhone isn't working as expected and you have removed all external things that could cause this issue, like screen protectors cases, the next best step would be to reinstall iOS: 

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Specifically, check out the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" it will walk you through all the steps to reinstall iOS on your device.

Keep us posted with the results. 

Best Regards.

iPhone 11 Pro Max home gesture randomly lags and fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.