Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Purchase

Hello,

I would like to purchase an Apple Watch for my boyfriend. I have a 4-series and I was looking to get the same one for him, but my only options seem to be the 5-series and the 3-series. Are the 4-series no longer being sold?

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 10:00 AM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2020 5:54 PM in response to jaycie14

There are not a lot of physical differences between the Series 4 and 5, so it was an easy decision to switch the Series manufacturing equipment over to making Series 5 watches. There are differences, and here is my list:

Apple Watch Series 5 vs 4

• Always on Display using a variable rate refresh that can go down to 1 second intervals (A low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) display is a special kind of backplane technology designed for OLED screens and developed by Apple).
  • Compass (of course your iPhone has a compass too).
  • Cellular Apple Watch has emergency calling when away from your cellular provider (international travel), or if you do not have a cellular contract for your Apple Watch. 
  • 32GB storage vs 16GB
  • Titanium and Ceramic cases available
  • S5 CPU on a Chip vs the S4 CPU 
  • Series 4 is no longer manufactured, and new in the box comes with watchOS 5 vs the Series 5 comes with watchOS 6 and requires an iPhone 6s, SE, 7 or newer running iOS 13.

Apple Watch Purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.