Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari disappeared after software update

I can see that my computer updated Safari yesterday. Today, there is no Safari to be found on my computer. I'm super confused. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else recently?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 7:25 PM

SenEliza Said:

Safari disappeared after software update: I can see that my computer updated Safari yesterday. Today, there is no Safari to be found on my computer. I'm super confused. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else recently?

———-

Try the Following in the Order Provided:

• Create a New Administrator User:

Create a new Administrator user and see what happens. If it does not occur, then it is something configured in your current user. Create this as the Administrator in:System Preferences > Users & Groups

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Try logging in using Safe Mode (Hold down shift key upon boot). See if you can log in. Items only load as they do by default, while you are booted into Safe Mode. All caches are set aside.  Go Here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

• Back up your Mac:

Start by Creating a Time Machine Backupof my Mac. That way I could be assured that Incan recover my Mac, should I need the App back or if anything goes wrong due to the removal. So, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

• Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be placed back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

• USB Bootable Installer:

Are you concerned of losing data? If not, format the disk then install the macOS. Create a USB Bootable Installer for Mojave. Then, install it. Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 7:25 PM in response to SenEliza

SenEliza Said:

Safari disappeared after software update: I can see that my computer updated Safari yesterday. Today, there is no Safari to be found on my computer. I'm super confused. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else recently?

———-

Try the Following in the Order Provided:

• Create a New Administrator User:

Create a new Administrator user and see what happens. If it does not occur, then it is something configured in your current user. Create this as the Administrator in:System Preferences > Users & Groups

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Try logging in using Safe Mode (Hold down shift key upon boot). See if you can log in. Items only load as they do by default, while you are booted into Safe Mode. All caches are set aside.  Go Here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

• Back up your Mac:

Start by Creating a Time Machine Backupof my Mac. That way I could be assured that Incan recover my Mac, should I need the App back or if anything goes wrong due to the removal. So, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

• Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be placed back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

• USB Bootable Installer:

Are you concerned of losing data? If not, format the disk then install the macOS. Create a USB Bootable Installer for Mojave. Then, install it. Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2020 8:57 AM in response to txchiro

txchiro Said:

"This is the second BAD update on a row!!! I can’t open ANY webpage in Safari!!!![...]"

-------

Did you Back Up your Mac?:

Whenever making a major change to your Mac, such as an update, alway back up your Mac. So, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Safari disappeared after software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.