You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text replacement/shortcuts in

Hello there,

i would like to ask about the keyboard text replacement/shortcuts.

They work in every apple app, like: notes, mail, pages

But when i'm using our company web software for informations, i can't use there text replacements/shortcuts in web text fields for example.

How can i allow this also for non apple apps, or at least for safari web text fields?

I mean input fields, even here when i'm writing, the text replacement don't work.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 1:44 AM

14 replies

Apr 2, 2020 4:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

UPDATE: i managed to fix it, weird but, i opened classic TEXT EDIT app for macs, and in the options cmd + , and there i hacke ticked the checkbox, because the Text replacement was unticked.

Then i clicked at the selected text in browser, right click -> substitutions -> show substitotuins -> tick/click the Text replacement, but here in this text field at this discussion. page it's not working.

Now it seem to work, in elements with textarea but not in field without this element, am i right?

Not all input fields allow me the text replacement

Apr 2, 2020 10:49 AM in response to P.Potoczky

P.Potoczky wrote:

holy s***t, i want that 😁, no idea, who or how, but started to work here in this form, but it's not showing me the preview as yours.
Have you tried that also in some kind of CK editor, od tinymce, like wordpress have?

The preview is tied to "correct spelling as you type" in Keyboard System Prefs > Text.

I don't have any of those, so no I haven't.

I did try in BBEdit, SublimeText, and SubEthaEdit. Both BBEdit and Sublime Text do not have the standard text substitutions menus and didn't insert the text. SubEthaEdit does support text replacements.

Apr 3, 2020 12:50 AM in response to P.Potoczky

I am not a developer but I am pretty sure that it this is an API available for developers to use in their own applications.

It works in several third party applications already. The ones where it does not, it is because they chose to write their custom code for handling text.

I bet if I just opened XCode and started a Mac application with a standard text field in it, text replacement would work without having to write any code for it.

text replacement/shortcuts in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.