Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music on Mac - cannot search in column view

Is there any way to set the search function of Music to operate in column view?

Music on Mac only seems to display searches in album view, even though I typically use column view. iTunes would let me view library results in whatever view I was currently using, i.e. if I was in column view, the search results would be in column view, if I was in album view, results would be in album view, etc.

Column view is simpler, faster and more useful for me when searching, as I got all results matching my query in a list that I could then do as I please, e.g. quickly create a "play next" list, a playlist by multi-selecting from the results, multi-delete. I could then sort my results by column such as genre, date added, etc., which I found extremely useful

Search results in album view only means I have to search the query, then open up either the containing album get to one individual track, or press "See all" for a list of songs that match the query. It's an extra stage added to the process, with less functionality

If someone could confirm whether it is possible (or not) to change the display for search results, it would be highly appreciated

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:47 AM

I found a workaround - instead of using the search box, I can get search results in column view using the filter field.

If anyone needs this, select View > Show Filter Field and use this to search your query, which searches in column view as you type

Similar questions

3 replies

Music on Mac - cannot search in column view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.