Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find out if my new iphone is refurbished

How can i find out if my iphone is refurbished using the serial number

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 8:32 AM

There is no sure way if the phone came from a non-approved source. But if you bought it directly from Apple or from an Apple authorized reseller it is not refurbished unless you specifically asked for a refurbished phone to save a little money. If the Model Number begins with M or P the phone is original. If it begins with N it was refurbished by Apple. If it begins with F it was refurbished by someone other than Apple.

You can also enter the serial number here to verify that it is actually new—>Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 8:32 AM in response to almahajjar

There is no sure way if the phone came from a non-approved source. But if you bought it directly from Apple or from an Apple authorized reseller it is not refurbished unless you specifically asked for a refurbished phone to save a little money. If the Model Number begins with M or P the phone is original. If it begins with N it was refurbished by Apple. If it begins with F it was refurbished by someone other than Apple.

You can also enter the serial number here to verify that it is actually new—>Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

3rd parties cannot change the model number like that. They don't have access to it. 3rd party refurbishments retain the M or P

F or N was refurbished by Apple. It's just defines how it was provided by Apple.

F for purchased from the refurbished store.

N if it was used as a replacement iPhone for a service request.

Both items would have been refurbished. Though the N models can be new units set aside for service replacements as well.

How can I find out if my new iphone is refurbished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.