Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud duplicating photos labelled as (edited)

Hi,

I recently installed iCloud on a new PC, and decided I'd like to view my iCloud photo gallery, as I do across all of my Apple devices.

I installed iCloud and synchronised the files I share with my Macbook, then set-up Photos with the following options:

• iCloud photo library - enabled
  • My Photo Stream - disabled
  • Download new photos and videos to my PC - enabled
  • Keep high efficiency original if available - disabled
  • Upload new photos and videos from my PC - disabled
  • iCloud photo sharing - disabled

Everything is working fine, but I do have one issue.

For every photo which I've taken, it's downloading two copies. The original photo, as it is on my iPhone, only the photo is labelled as (edited). The second copy of each photo is identical only a wider version of it.

I assume this relates to the option on my iPhone to take pictures outside of the border, which I can then edit later, taking in that extra area should I chose to do so.

The problem is, I don't want to have double the number of photos or videos, as surely this is using more than double my iCloud storage and it's definitely using more than double the space on my hard drive, as the full sized images and videos are larger than those which I actually took.

I've taken a look at the options on my iPhone for the camera and no combination of setting in Composition prevents this from happening. It states they should be deleted after 30 days if they're not use, but that's not happening.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop this please? I've searched and kind find anything.

Cheers,

Lee

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:52 AM

Hello rodstreet and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're having an issue with images being duplicated in iCloud when you connect a Windows PC.

This is likely due, as you've already surmised, to the image format which allows for content outside of the frame to be used when editing. The ability to read that format does not currently exist on a PC so, the system creating a duplicate that can be viewed via that platform would be expected.

If you would like to leave feedback for Apple about that, you can do so here: Feedback - Photos - Apple Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 11:52 AM in response to rodstreet

Hello rodstreet and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're having an issue with images being duplicated in iCloud when you connect a Windows PC.

This is likely due, as you've already surmised, to the image format which allows for content outside of the frame to be used when editing. The ability to read that format does not currently exist on a PC so, the system creating a duplicate that can be viewed via that platform would be expected.

If you would like to leave feedback for Apple about that, you can do so here: Feedback - Photos - Apple Cheers.

iCloud duplicating photos labelled as (edited)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.