Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update my apple id on my macbook?

hello, I have had to change my apple id email address as the domain that i set my laptop up with no longer exists.

Annoyingly, the old email is the default one on my MacBook and I can't find a way to change it to my new email. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 5:42 PM

If you have changed your ID or password, have you followed the steps in this article?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

5 replies

Apr 2, 2020 2:51 PM in response to FionaFlute

Did you create a new Apple ID with the new email, or did you just change the email for the existing Apple ID? I'm guessing you made a new ID.

You can change the Apple ID in System Preferences. In macOS Catalina (10.15), your name will appear at the top and you can click to sign out. In older versions, you would only need to sign out under the iCloud pane in System Preferences. You may also want to open Messages, then from the menu bar, click Messages > Preferences (or press Command ⌘ + comma ,) and then Accounts. You can sign out here and sign in with the new one. Repeat the steps for FaceTime if you use it. You could also sign out of iTunes by opening iTunes and clicking Account > Sign Out from the menu bar, and also the App Store by opening it and clicking Sign Out at the bottom of the window. However be aware that purchases/downloads from iTunes and the App Store are tied to the Apple ID that were originally used to download them.

Apr 2, 2020 3:02 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I think I just changed my existing one!

the problem is when I go to system preferences, and go to change details, I can change name, email, contact etc but the Apple ID that is associated with the laptop is unable to be change. I’m unable to sign into the iCloud with my laptop as It is saying the Apple ID is incorrect.

in system preferences, where my name and surname are, I can change those but the Apple ID remains.

how do i update my apple id on my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.