Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No camera

My camera isn't working and it never has. I didn't buy it new and I have asked the previous owner what happened but they said they only ever used an external camera. is there anyway that the camera will ever work again? Because no matter what I do it still says there is no in built camera. Also yes I have typed in sudo killall VDCAssistant and sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant. Any advice please?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 5:18 PM

keisha4224 Said:

"No camera:[...]is there anyway that the camera will ever work again?[...]"

-------

Backup your Mac & Reinstall the macOS:

The Camera Plugin is the Most-Likely Culprit. It may be corrupted some How from a misconfiguration. So,...

Have you Tried Reinstalling the macOS?:

The Camera App is built into the macOS. So downloading it as a plugin would not be an applicable/available option. You would need to reinstall the MacOS

So, Reinstall the MacOS:

If Safe Mode (as I described in my previous reply) does not work, then reinstalling your macOS may be the way to go about solving this. Sometimes installed apps (Mail in this case) become manipulated, technically. And with Mail being a part of the macOS, it cannot be uninstalled itself. Reinstall the macOS to fix corrupt-installed items. Missing files will be reinstalled, and moved items with be placed back to where they should be. So, try Safe Mode. Then, reinstall the macOS, if Safe Modedoes not work.

-------

As for Reinstalling the Mac OS:

Nothing would be lost. It’s just that all misconfigured files would be fixed and placed back where they should be. With the camera plugin being replaced.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Backing up your Mac:

Are you Concerned of Losing Data?

• If not, just move ahead and erase the disk and then install the macOS

• If so, back up your Mac: (using Time Machine)

How to Use Time Machine:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 5:18 PM in response to keisha4224

keisha4224 Said:

"No camera:[...]is there anyway that the camera will ever work again?[...]"

-------

Backup your Mac & Reinstall the macOS:

The Camera Plugin is the Most-Likely Culprit. It may be corrupted some How from a misconfiguration. So,...

Have you Tried Reinstalling the macOS?:

The Camera App is built into the macOS. So downloading it as a plugin would not be an applicable/available option. You would need to reinstall the MacOS

So, Reinstall the MacOS:

If Safe Mode (as I described in my previous reply) does not work, then reinstalling your macOS may be the way to go about solving this. Sometimes installed apps (Mail in this case) become manipulated, technically. And with Mail being a part of the macOS, it cannot be uninstalled itself. Reinstall the macOS to fix corrupt-installed items. Missing files will be reinstalled, and moved items with be placed back to where they should be. So, try Safe Mode. Then, reinstall the macOS, if Safe Modedoes not work.

-------

As for Reinstalling the Mac OS:

Nothing would be lost. It’s just that all misconfigured files would be fixed and placed back where they should be. With the camera plugin being replaced.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Backing up your Mac:

Are you Concerned of Losing Data?

• If not, just move ahead and erase the disk and then install the macOS

• If so, back up your Mac: (using Time Machine)

How to Use Time Machine:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Apr 7, 2020 4:17 PM in response to keisha4224

keisha4224 Said:

"Unfortunately, it still does not work. My partner reinstalled the macOS last night and we've just been able to get on to the laptop now, however it still says 'There is no connected camera'."

-------

Thank you for the update.

Coronavirus Pandemic:

I'm not so certain if this would take any part in this, but the Coronavirus Pandemic is out there. And, with that being said, people are working out of their house at the moment, and many kids are out of school, now taking classes over the Internet and playing games. Point being: Network Traffic is at an utmost extreme. Internet Service Providers (ISPs), can only speak for themselves, but I'm sure their engineers are doing their best to keep all of this up and running. So, if this Current Event plays any role in this... it's that the install may not have gone through 100% as intended --- So, maybe keep using what you are using, and then try another install once many workers are back at their desks at work. So, use another computer in the meantime for the camera. :)

A few more thoughts....

Try the Following in the Order Provided:

• Create a New Administrator User:

Create a new Administrator user and see what happens. If it does not occur, then it is something configured in your current user. Create this as the Administrator in: System Preferences > Users & Groups

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Try logging in using Safe Mode (Hold down shift key upon boot). See if you can log in. Items only load as they do by default, while you are booted into Safe Mode. All caches are set aside.  So, Go Here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

• Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software 

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

Sometimes operations are performed and then the keyboard settings become manipulated, technically. So... Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM. Then reboot with this keyboard plugged in once more.

• Any Security Software Installed?:

Security Software would want to make sure that you are getting optimum usage of your Mac. So, apps just sitting about (i.e. The Camera App) would close if they are taking up what the Security Software could consider unnecessary. So, uninstall it, using the uninstaller from the developer’s site. Just dragging a dropping it into the Trash will undesirably leave caches and other files sitting around on your Mac.

Contact Apple Support:

This Camera Inoperability is an issue that has been going on for a bit now, and has been mentioned on these forums quite a bit too. So, contact Apple Support. Ask the Apple Rep for any thoughts on this.

***Info on Contacting Apple:

No camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.