Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import miniDV

I want to import many miniDV tapes to one of my Macs. All I have to export with is an old JVC camcorder, but it is not recognized by iMovie or Image Capture. My MacBook Air shows that the camera is plugged into the USB3 port.

Can anyone think of any options with this camcorder or otherwise?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 1:45 PM

To import your video you'll need a firewire connection.

If your camera doesn't have a Firewire (usually FW400) port, it will likely have a Composite or Component out. To deal with that you'll need a Composite or Component to DV converter. The converter must output Firewire. (Something like the Canopus ADVC-300)

If your computer doesn't have a Firewire (FW) port (and the new ones do not) but has a Thunderbolt (TB) port, you'll need a TB 2 to FW 800 dongle then a FW 800 to 400 adapter. If you have a really new MacBook, you'll also need a TB 3 to TB 2 adapter.

The most straightforward connection chain looks like this: Camcorder>FW 400 out>FW 400 to 800 converter>FW 800 to TB 2 dongle>then either TB 2 in or TBt 2 to TB 3 adapter. The TB3 uses the same plug as the USB-C form.

Worst case chain looks like this: Camcorder > Composite or Component out > Analog to DV converter (eg Canopus ADVC-300) > FW 400 out to FW 800 converter > FW 800 to TB 2 converter > TB2 to TB3 converter.

The caveat is: There is no guarantee any of this will work. In the "ye olden days" of tape based DV, these forums were FILLED with the struggles of people trying to get their camcorders to talk with computers. And ... keep in mind this was the time when the standard connection was a straight forward FW 400 cable.

Your best bet maybe to find a video transfer service - sometimes public access channels have legacy equipment - and pay them to do it. It will likely be cheaper than trying to do it yourself.

Good luck

x

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 1:45 PM in response to orcasis

To import your video you'll need a firewire connection.

If your camera doesn't have a Firewire (usually FW400) port, it will likely have a Composite or Component out. To deal with that you'll need a Composite or Component to DV converter. The converter must output Firewire. (Something like the Canopus ADVC-300)

If your computer doesn't have a Firewire (FW) port (and the new ones do not) but has a Thunderbolt (TB) port, you'll need a TB 2 to FW 800 dongle then a FW 800 to 400 adapter. If you have a really new MacBook, you'll also need a TB 3 to TB 2 adapter.

The most straightforward connection chain looks like this: Camcorder>FW 400 out>FW 400 to 800 converter>FW 800 to TB 2 dongle>then either TB 2 in or TBt 2 to TB 3 adapter. The TB3 uses the same plug as the USB-C form.

Worst case chain looks like this: Camcorder > Composite or Component out > Analog to DV converter (eg Canopus ADVC-300) > FW 400 out to FW 800 converter > FW 800 to TB 2 converter > TB2 to TB3 converter.

The caveat is: There is no guarantee any of this will work. In the "ye olden days" of tape based DV, these forums were FILLED with the struggles of people trying to get their camcorders to talk with computers. And ... keep in mind this was the time when the standard connection was a straight forward FW 400 cable.

Your best bet maybe to find a video transfer service - sometimes public access channels have legacy equipment - and pay them to do it. It will likely be cheaper than trying to do it yourself.

Good luck

x

Apr 14, 2020 7:21 PM in response to Studio X

To Studio X:

I owe you a great debt of gratitude. First of all, I was surprised that the camcorder (JVC GR-DV5000) was not recognized by iMovie on my MacBook Air connecting via camcorder > USB mini-B out > USB mini-B to USB-A converter > USB-A to USB-C converter > MacBook Air.

You came to the rescue. After I ordered the appropriate cables, I am connected as follows: camcorder > miniDV (IEEE 1394) out > miniDV to FW800 converter > FW800 to TB2 converter > TB2 to TB3 converter > MacBook Air.

It works! The camcorder was instantly recognized by iMovie, and import is smooth as the iMovie controls operate the camera without ever having to touch it.

I have hours of miniDV (and Hi8) tapes that I hope to review, categorize and back up. I can hardly believe that this issue has not been more prominent lately as we aging baby boomers are nearing retirement and getting more time on our hands.

Thanks again!

Import miniDV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.