You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is icloud necessary for Facetime?

I've had Macs for many years, but never had a reason to use Facetime. Until Coronavirus happened. Since we're socially isolated, I'd like to try it. But it doesn't work.

When I start Facetime, it asks for an icloud login. Is that necessary? Can't I use Facetime without being on icloud? If so, how can I bypass the icloud login?

On the assumption that icloud is unfortunately necessary to use Facetime, I entered my icloud login and password, and a popup asked me to approve a Keychain token. I approved it, but Facetime didn't start, and it went back to the login screen. My next question is, is Keychain also necessary for Facetime? And does it have to be enabled in icloud? I don't use Keychain for any applications, and don't want to. I don't want to store any passwords; I'm perfectly happy typing my passwords in each time I want to access something. And I definitely don't want to enable Keychain in icloud. Is that also required?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 7:47 PM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2020 6:23 PM in response to robroper

Hello robroper and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are trying to set up FaceTime for the first time on a Mac.

Use FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support

Like iMessages, FaceTime uses your Apple ID to allow you to connect to other users of Macs and iOS devices.

You will need to sign in to iCloud via your Apple ID to activate and use the service. Be aware that it may take some time—up to 48 hours—for activation to take place once it's been requested.

In terms of the keychain, you do not have to enable iCloud Keychain. FaceTime itself needs access to the keychain on the Mac itself—not in iCloud—in order to sign you in when you launch the app.

Cheers.

Apr 14, 2020 9:30 AM in response to robroper

Hi robroper.

Do you have any other devices on which you can try using FaceTime such as an iPhone or iPad? Trying on a different device, if available would help isolate this issue to something that is affecting just the Mac or something that may be associated with the iCloud account/Apple ID itself.

If you do not have a different device available or if you are also unable to access FaceTime on a second device, reach out directly to Apple Support for additional options.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Cheers.

Is icloud necessary for Facetime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.