Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flicker - hardware issue?

Hi, I'm just working when it happens so I'm not sure how it's possible that it is hardware issue? There's a flickering on my screen then multiple lines with black background that will appear on the top of the screen then later on, it will appear on my whole screen but when I connect it to external monitor, it works perfect fine. Have anyone encounter that issue?

Thank you so much.

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 8:50 AM

See if the flickers changes when you change the angle of the monitor. That would indicate that display cable is failing rather than the display itself.

If this is a Retina MBP it is a moot point because those require replacing the entire display assembly in the cable is bad. If this is an older (pre-2013) non-Retina MacBook Pro, the cable can be separately replaced without the steep cost of a complete display assembly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 8:50 AM in response to love-twentysix

See if the flickers changes when you change the angle of the monitor. That would indicate that display cable is failing rather than the display itself.

If this is a Retina MBP it is a moot point because those require replacing the entire display assembly in the cable is bad. If this is an older (pre-2013) non-Retina MacBook Pro, the cable can be separately replaced without the steep cost of a complete display assembly.

Flicker - hardware issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.