Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Update Apple ID Settings"

Greetings!

So I seem to be having this issue where I get prompted to "Update Apple ID Settings" whenever I boot up my laptop. I have tried to update the information multiple times, but for some reason it is not accepting my password, or proceeding to the next steps.

I looked up some guides online and they suggested that I sign out of my iCloud, so I did and restarted my laptop. My laptop booted back up, I went ahead to sign in, and it is not working. I tried to sign in again, and same thing, not letting me proceed to the next steps.

I checked my iMessages, my contacts of course were removed since that is linked with my iCloud, but my Apple id was still signed in. I went to check my iPhone to see if I can install an app with the password I m using, and everything was working fine. So this time I shutdown my laptop, tried to sign back into icloud and no luck, rebooted it, no luck. I launched App store on my laptop and was prompted to sign in, lol that worked.....I tried to enter an incorrect password, and it said that the password I entered was incorrect. So it does know that I am entering the right password but "You shall not Pass".

So here I am now, stuck in some sort of loop where I can't proceed to the next steps. I will say this issue has been going on for quite some time now, I believe sometime last year I updated my iCloud password in order to fix this issue, it worked for a few weeks but the issue came back.

I can only assume this is this an issue with Mojave? I haven't updated the OS since I do not have the storage space lol, but I may have to clear some things. Just would like to find a fix before I go that route.

Here is where I try to sign in, so it goes through an authenticating process

Nothing happens, if I click Next, I am prompted to enter my password again.

Update

I just signed out of my iCloud on my iPhone, signed back in and it worked, I m guessing at this point, it's a Mojave issue.

Please Advise.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 3:11 PM

Alright, I think I managed to fix it. Unfortunately the combo upgrade did not resolve the issue, but hey I m on a newer OS level so that always helps.

I randomly thought about checking my saved keys to see if there was a lingering iCloud keys causing login issues, so I accessed the Keychain program and searched for any iCloud keys that were saved. I managed to find a few files, some were SOSDataSource keys, nanoregistry, and found one that caught my attention "iCloud Keychain Account Meta-data". I was afraid to delete them but what the heck, I have a time machine backup just in case. So I removed everything that was related to my search, few seconds later I was hit with a crash error, forcing me to close the program, yikes!!!! I relaunched Keychain and things seemed to be working fine, I was able to navigate the menus without any issues, so maybe it just needed a reset?

Example of my stored keys

I then proceeded to try and log into iCloud, and was immediately hit with an error "A keychain cannot be found to store", I click on "Reset to Defaults", and I was prompted to enter my macbook admin password, which I did, then I was prompted with a similar error and selected the same option, entered my admin password again. I probably had to do this about 20 times until that message went away, but of course it still didn't let me login.

I went back to Keychain, tried to locate any other lingering iCloud files, which I could not find. I turned my attention to the toolbar clicked on Keychain Access, then preferences (shortcut is " command ," ). Only option appeared was to "Reset My Default Keychains", so I did and was prompted to enter admin password.

After resetting default keys, I tried to log into iCloud, and what do you know? Things finally worked!!! Now I m not sure if I will be prompted with the "Update Apple ID Settings", but if I am then I will have to attribute it as an OS issue. When I was removing keys, I noticed the iCloud metadata file was created in 2016, and since then I think I changed my password only once or twice (not following security procedure of updating every 90 days lol), as of now I think the issue was with that old meta data iCloud file.

Anyways, I greatly appreciate your help Eric, I don't think I would have made it this far without your guidance.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 3:11 PM in response to Eric Root

Alright, I think I managed to fix it. Unfortunately the combo upgrade did not resolve the issue, but hey I m on a newer OS level so that always helps.

I randomly thought about checking my saved keys to see if there was a lingering iCloud keys causing login issues, so I accessed the Keychain program and searched for any iCloud keys that were saved. I managed to find a few files, some were SOSDataSource keys, nanoregistry, and found one that caught my attention "iCloud Keychain Account Meta-data". I was afraid to delete them but what the heck, I have a time machine backup just in case. So I removed everything that was related to my search, few seconds later I was hit with a crash error, forcing me to close the program, yikes!!!! I relaunched Keychain and things seemed to be working fine, I was able to navigate the menus without any issues, so maybe it just needed a reset?

Example of my stored keys

I then proceeded to try and log into iCloud, and was immediately hit with an error "A keychain cannot be found to store", I click on "Reset to Defaults", and I was prompted to enter my macbook admin password, which I did, then I was prompted with a similar error and selected the same option, entered my admin password again. I probably had to do this about 20 times until that message went away, but of course it still didn't let me login.

I went back to Keychain, tried to locate any other lingering iCloud files, which I could not find. I turned my attention to the toolbar clicked on Keychain Access, then preferences (shortcut is " command ," ). Only option appeared was to "Reset My Default Keychains", so I did and was prompted to enter admin password.

After resetting default keys, I tried to log into iCloud, and what do you know? Things finally worked!!! Now I m not sure if I will be prompted with the "Update Apple ID Settings", but if I am then I will have to attribute it as an OS issue. When I was removing keys, I noticed the iCloud metadata file was created in 2016, and since then I think I changed my password only once or twice (not following security procedure of updating every 90 days lol), as of now I think the issue was with that old meta data iCloud file.

Anyways, I greatly appreciate your help Eric, I don't think I would have made it this far without your guidance.

Apr 3, 2020 11:34 AM in response to chilladelphia

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Apr 3, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Eric Root

Alright, so I managed to sign into iCloud by creating a test account, and I was able to sign into iCloud using Safe Mode on the personal account.

I have the log below. The Dual anti virus is recent, and I believe the problem persisted way before that, although I seem to have 4, so maybe that could be the issue. Cleanmymac might be the problem?

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2020 12:34 PM in response to chilladelphia

You are welcome. Have you considered updating Mojave to the latest version? Try running the combo update. It installs all previous updates plus the new one, which can replace any files that may have become corrupted.

Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update

I would uninstall CleanMyMac, the com.maintain/Cocktail software, and McAfee using the Developer's uninstall instructions. Also remove the McAfee Safari extension.

"Update Apple ID Settings"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.