Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages won't open a document

Pages says it can't open my document because index.xmi is missing. Where can I find/get it. Please

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 12:23 PM

Hi Murray,

This error message occurs only when you attempt to open a file last saved from Page 5 or later using Pages '09 (or when you attempt the equivalent opening using Numbers '09 or Keynote '09).

The post '09 Pages, Numbers and Keynote(?) use a fie structure that does not include an index.xml file. The '09 versions use a file structure that includes (and requires) that index.xml file. Both file types use the .pages or .numbers extension, and the OS uses the extension to decide what application will (try to) open the file.

To open your file:

Go to Finder, locate the file, right click (or control-click) on it, then select Pages n.n.n (where n.n.n is a version number greater than 4.n.n).

To prevent the issue from arising again:

Go to Finder, locate and click on any .pages file to select it, then press command-I to Get Info.

In the Info pane, go to the Open with… section and choose your current version of Pages (greatest version number).

Click the Change All button to apply this instruction to all files with the .pages extension.

Repeat with Numbers if you also have two versions of Numbers installed.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 12:23 PM in response to murraynichol

Hi Murray,

This error message occurs only when you attempt to open a file last saved from Page 5 or later using Pages '09 (or when you attempt the equivalent opening using Numbers '09 or Keynote '09).

The post '09 Pages, Numbers and Keynote(?) use a fie structure that does not include an index.xml file. The '09 versions use a file structure that includes (and requires) that index.xml file. Both file types use the .pages or .numbers extension, and the OS uses the extension to decide what application will (try to) open the file.

To open your file:

Go to Finder, locate the file, right click (or control-click) on it, then select Pages n.n.n (where n.n.n is a version number greater than 4.n.n).

To prevent the issue from arising again:

Go to Finder, locate and click on any .pages file to select it, then press command-I to Get Info.

In the Info pane, go to the Open with… section and choose your current version of Pages (greatest version number).

Click the Change All button to apply this instruction to all files with the .pages extension.

Repeat with Numbers if you also have two versions of Numbers installed.

Regards,

Barry

pages won't open a document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.