Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

~Library/Caches folder

Hi. I decided to check my caches folders to see if I needed to delete some files. I went to "Go to folder:" and typed in "~Library/Caches" and was surprised to get in response, "Folder can't be found"! I don't know how serious this is. And I'm not sure what to do about it. Can anyone help me to figure this out? Thanks. -Gregg

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 1:09 PM

GreggCirillo Said:

~Library/Caches folder: Hi. I decided to check my caches folders to see if I needed to delete some files.[...]

———-

How to Clear The Cache:

Perform this Directly in Safari

I. First, Unhide: The Develop Menu

1. Open: Safari
  2. Go To: Preferences
  3. Click: Advanced
  4. Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

II. Then Clear the Cache:

1. Go To: the Develop menu
  2. Select: Empty Caches

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 1:09 PM in response to GreggCirillo

GreggCirillo Said:

~Library/Caches folder: Hi. I decided to check my caches folders to see if I needed to delete some files.[...]

———-

How to Clear The Cache:

Perform this Directly in Safari

I. First, Unhide: The Develop Menu

1. Open: Safari
  2. Go To: Preferences
  3. Click: Advanced
  4. Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

II. Then Clear the Cache:

1. Go To: the Develop menu
  2. Select: Empty Caches

Apr 3, 2020 1:59 PM in response to GreggCirillo

Removing the contents of the ~/Library/Caches folder isn't really necessary, because all Apple, and most third-party applications will simply write their particular items right back in that folder. It will also cause all associated applications to run slow until they have rebuilt what they need in that Caches folder.

This should only be done in Safe Boot mode, followed by a normal reboot, and then emptying of the Trash to avoid file in use issues.

~Library/Caches folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.