Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage space

If I make a back up on iCloud and then later delete the data from my iPhone, will the data get erased from iCloud also?

if yes then what is the use of iCloud?

and if no, then how do I free up storage space on my device without losing data?

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 3:16 PM

Hello,

1) Yes, items deleted from the phone are generally also deleted from the iCloud.

2) The main purpose of iCloud is to store data so that it can be available to other devices using the same Apple ID: iCloud: Use iCloud.com

3) To free up local storage, see this link:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

4) If your storage space is used up by photos and videos, put them into the cloud and then store only low-res versions on the phone:

Set up and use iCloud Photos – Apple Support

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 3:16 PM in response to Jainprakarsh

Hello,

1) Yes, items deleted from the phone are generally also deleted from the iCloud.

2) The main purpose of iCloud is to store data so that it can be available to other devices using the same Apple ID: iCloud: Use iCloud.com

3) To free up local storage, see this link:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

4) If your storage space is used up by photos and videos, put them into the cloud and then store only low-res versions on the phone:

Set up and use iCloud Photos – Apple Support

Good luck.

Apr 3, 2020 3:18 PM in response to Jainprakarsh

You use icloud to backup What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

or you sync data to icloud https://www.macworld.com/article/1162953/icloud-syncing.html

That is what icloud is for.

You will need to delete data off your phone to gain back more memory. How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Or you buy another phone that has more internal memory if you don't want to delete data.

Storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.