Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older ipad 3rd gen iOS software update

Hi, I have been given an older gen3 ipad and my question is, how do I update to the most compatible software update for this model. What I've read is that 9.0 iOS should be able to upgrade to. Im getting a msg... unable to check for update, an error occurred while checkig for software update.

Can anyone please advise what I can do to sort this if possible.

Thanks in advance

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 8:20 PM

8 replies

Apr 3, 2020 11:00 PM in response to K8Hethero

One of the big thngs will be finding compatible games.

Games are first to disappear or become non-functional on older iOS devices.

You maybe able to still get kids books to read through the Apple iBooks app if that gets installed with iOS 9.

Depending on how old your children are, you may find some simple drawing and coloring book style apps still available, but older version game apps are going to be problematic in 2020.

Just letting you know what you are going to be in for using an 8-year old device that hasn't been supported by Apple in well over 3-1/2 years!

Good Luck to You!

Apr 3, 2020 9:56 PM in response to K8Hethero

FYI,

After the upgrade, you may find many, MANY older versions of the most popular, third party apps to be no longer available for download for that 8-year old iPad.

Third party app developers have moved their apps to, at least, iOS 11 and later, now and have removed all of their older iOS 10 and earlier older app versions from Apple’s iOS App Store.

So finding apps for that old an iPad, while still possible, currently, will be a challenge, now, in 2020.

Older ipad 3rd gen iOS software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.