Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up in recovery mode- macbook pro

Hi all,

My MacBook Pro froze on me then wouldn’t start up. Fine. I restarted in recovery mode and went to disk utility in the hope I could back up files to ex hard drive before trying to reinstall OS. My last back up is a few years ago 😢 so don’t want to lose it all.

My issue is in disk utility the disk seems to be Mac OS X base system and disk0. Is there a way to back to ex hard drive in this state?

thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 5:02 AM

see if you can boot to Recovery or Internet Recovery...

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2020 5:02 AM in response to Airbud85

see if you can boot to Recovery or Internet Recovery...

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Apr 5, 2020 1:53 AM in response to HWTech

Hi guys.

thanks for the help so far. I restarted using command option R which allowed me to see the view options. After showing all devices, This now shows Apple disk image media and OS X base system but still not showing the macintosh hd drive as expected.

HWTech- any further advice on FileVault or the terminal app would be good. Neither seem available looking through all the toolbar options. Also should I run the first aid on Apple disk image or is that not useful? There doesn’t seem to be much in it.

dan

Apr 4, 2020 6:20 PM in response to Airbud85

If you don't see your boot volume, the within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then see if you can run First Aid on it. Recent versions of Disk Utility hide the physical drive. Also make sure you are booting to the same or newer version of macOS since an older version of macOS may be unable to recognize CoreStorage Containers or APFS volumes.

If you don't see your "Macintosh HD" or "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes, then you may need to manually mount them using Disk Utility if Filevault is enabled on them.

If you still don't see them, then launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command and post the results here (including the command you typed):

diskutil  list  internal

Apr 5, 2020 1:53 PM in response to Airbud85

It looks like the SSD has died and will need to be replaced.

Third party SSDs require that the laptop's firmware has already been updated before a third party SSD can be used. The necessary firmware would have been installed by the macOS 10.13 High Sierra installer. If macOS 10.13+ has already been installed on this laptop, then you can replace the bad SSD with an OWC Aura SSD. If macOS 10.13+ has never been installed on this laptop, then you will need to have Apple repair your laptop since you need to use an original Apple SSD to upgrade to macOS 10.13+.

Back up in recovery mode- macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.