Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod 160GB Classic not recognized by itunes

I have 8 160GB iPod classic. 7 are being recognized by iTunes, but 1 is not. These are the following steps I've taken in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Using Tools under Windows 10 properties I scanned the unrecognized iPod for errors. Scan revealed nothing wrong with the device.
  2. Used 4 separate USB connectors and 4 separate USB ports, including direct attachment to a USB port. None allowed iTunes to recognize the iPod.
  3. I modified autoplay in the Windows 10 Control Panel to ensure that only iTunes could open the device. The autoplay function seems to be working as expected with the other 7 iPods.
  4. I am on the most current version of iTunes, but even if I weren't, it's odd that the other 7 iPod classics ARE recognized.
  5. I've determined I can use the unrecognized iPod standalone for its play music capabilities; so I don't believe there's anything wrong with the iPod itself.
  6. The device IS recognized by Windows 10 as it does show up as an iPod device in My Computer.

Thus I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Anyone out there that can provide additional guidance and support would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 10:56 AM

The stats are OK. Look for fluff in the docking port. There maybe something in there that still allows the device to charge, but prevents proper data communication. Strike that, if Windows sees it in disk mode that isn't the problem either. Try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Perhaps Windows is trying to use an outdated or missing driver for this particular device.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 10:56 AM in response to regentpark3

The stats are OK. Look for fluff in the docking port. There maybe something in there that still allows the device to charge, but prevents proper data communication. Strike that, if Windows sees it in disk mode that isn't the problem either. Try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Perhaps Windows is trying to use an outdated or missing driver for this particular device.

tt2

Apr 4, 2020 8:31 PM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for your timely response. I ran the diagnostic test you noted and came up with the following stats:

Retracts - 223

Reallocs - 0

Pending - 0

Power Hours - 12

Start/Stops - 879

Curr Temp - 28C

Min Temp - 16

Max Temp - 50

I'm running the disk scan test now (in disk mode), but as I noted before the original scan showed no errors at all, and I can still run the iPod (independently of iTunes) to play music. Would that be functioning if I had a bad drive or bad sectors, none of which appear to be present?

Does this interim feedback provide additional information for troubleshooting I should try. This whole thing is odd because this particular iPod has never given me problems, has plenty of storage left, and seems to function beautifully in stand-alone mode. It's also my most valuable, as it contains a 2000+ song playlist that I couldn't recover if I lost this iPod for use.

I greatly appreciate the guidance you're providing as I try to muddle my way through this. Thank you again.

Apr 5, 2020 7:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again. Tried your find driver solution; but diagnostics showed I already had the most current driver. I also looked to clean the docking port of the fluff you felt might be the problem, but don't think that's the issue based on my finding noted to you below.

Did try to connect this particular iPod to someone else's machine that had the latest version of iTunes, and the device was immediately recognized within iTunes! Does this shed any further light on possible troubleshooting?

With that said, still uncertain it's a driver or iTunes issue because the other 7 iPod 160GB Classics are all working within that operating environment.

While I continue to be frustrated on how to solve this, your continued guidance and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Apr 6, 2020 4:57 AM in response to regentpark3

regentpark3 wrote:

Tried your find driver solution; but diagnostics showed I already had the most current driver.

Fake news, Windows is too cocksure, and each device gets its own driver registration settings. Explicitly select the correct driver as shown in the user tip even though Windows says you don't need to. I cannot guarantee it will work, but it has done for others.

tt2

ipod 160GB Classic not recognized by itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.